Mailing List Archive

Upgrade issues with 6.1.2r3
Earlier I had posted a problem regarding the upgrade from 6.0.1r3 to
6.1.2r3. With the help of netapp support we were able to resolve the problem
and in the process found out that there is a bug (Bug ID 50610 and 40696) in
6.1.2r3 that for complete Windows 2000 functionality your NetBIOS name
should be the 15 leftmost character of the DNS name. in our case our NetBIOS
name is MFI and DNS name is mesirowfinancial.net. The bug states that this
will work but the filer will behave as a windows NT4 server instead of a
Windows 2000 server.

Well this defeats the purpose of upgrading the ONTap version so to test it
we setup a domain with NetBIOS name as Mesirow and DNS name as Mesirow.net.
Now this meets the requirement for upgrade but during cifs setup when we put
the domain name as Mesirow.net, we get the following error:

"DNS does not appear to be configured correctly for proper windows 2000
operation in this domain. The filer could not resolve simple domain name
'MESIROW' to DNS form 'MESIROW.NET"

This is the same error we were receiving before with NetBIOS name of MFI and
DNS name of mesirowfinancial.net.

"DNS does not appear to be configured correctly for proper windows 2000
operation in this domain. The filer could not resolve simple domain name
'MESIROWFINANCIA' to DNS form 'MESIROWFINANCIAL.NET"

We have checked our configuration for DNS and WINS and do not find anything
wrong in it. Any help on this issue would be highly appreciated.

Network Appliance technical support is working with me on this and are very
helpful.

Mustafa