Mailing List Archive

Administrivia
This mailing list, like a number of others, is hosted on my colocated box,
using mailman2. The box is running CentOS 7, which goes end-of-life
fairly soon, and I plan to rebuild it running Debian 12 some time in the
next month or two (more solid notice will be given nearer the time!).

There have been no posts to this list since Oct 2023, so although we still
have a goodly number of subscribers, I wonder whether, after 26 years, the
list has run its course. I have enough other lists that I'll still have
to put mailman3 on the new box, but migrating a large list with a big
archive from mailman2 to mailman3 is still quite an undertaking. If it
turned out that it was pointless, it would be a large enough job that not
having to do it would be a noticeable time-saver.

Let me clarify that I'm not looking to offload the list, or to move it
again. If it's still useful, I'll do the legwork and migrate it; if it's
not, then let's just turn it off.

So I seek guidance. Let's not have the discussion on-list, but if you
have any thoughts about whether this list is still useful, please let me
know privately. Both positive and negative thoughts are valuable, so if
you have any strong feelings either way, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!

--

Tom Yates - https://www.teaparty.net
Re: Administrivia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Feb 2024, Tom Yates wrote:

> This mailing list, like a number of others, is hosted on my colocated box,
> using mailman2.

Thanks to all who expressed a view on the utility of the list. In the
event, there was no clear mandate for list retirement, and I found I had
to migrate enough other mailing lists that doing toasters as well wasn't
too onerous.

So the good news is, the list still exists.

The bad news is that mailman3 simply doesn't work with sendmail, so I had
to split off some of my teaparty.net mailing lists to a new subdomain; the
list is now "toasters@lists.teaparty.net", though postings to the old
address should still reach it.

The list's web interface for signups, subscription management, etc. is
https://lists.teaparty.net/postorius/lists/toasters.lists.teaparty.net/

The principal issue raised by those of you kind enough to reply was that
the archives should remain available. To that end, the old archive was
imported into mailman3's "hyperkitty" system, and can be found at
https://lists.teaparty.net/hyperkitty/list/toasters@lists.teaparty.net/

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled peace and quiet (!).

--

Tom Yates - https://www.teaparty.net