Mailing List Archive

Node(s) Out of Quorum During Takeover
Hello,

Just inherited a new 4-node ONTAP 9.1P9 cluster. First order of
business - testing manual failover functionality.

# CLUSTER INITIAL STATE

HA PAIR 1:
node1 - epsilon, master
node2 - secondary

HA PAIR 2:
node3 - secondary
node4 - secondary

The node I intended to takeover (node1) was both the master and held
the Epsilon. I moved Epsilon to a node in an HA pair that would
remain up (node4). However, per the "cluster ring" output, the node
I planned to takeover (node1) was still the master.

# CLUSTER NODE1 PRE-TAKEOVER STATE

HA PAIR 1:
node1 - master
node2 - secondary

HA PAIR 2:
node3 - secondary
node4 - epsilon, secondary

I initiated the takeover of node1 and received "Node(s) Out of Quorum"
alerts from the three other members of the cluster.

The cluster seemed to be happy after the takeover/giveback was
complete. The "cluster ring" output showed the master role had been
assumed by another node.

# CLUSTER POST NODE1 TAKEOVER/GIVEBACK STATE

HA PAIR 1:
node1 - secondary
node2 - master

HA PAIR 2:
node3 - secondary
node4 - epsilon, secondary

Is it normal to receive "Node(s) Out of Quorum" alerts when performing
a manual takeover of the master node?

Are these alerts the result of an election being forced?

Thanks,
Phil