Mailing List Archive

7MTT Copy-Free Transition from FAS2240-2
Hi All

Before I go too far down this rabbit hole I want to poll the group and see
if anyone has some previous experience with this. I'm trying to migrate a
FAS2240-2 7m system to a 9.1 cluster.

A copy-free transition would make the process much simpler. However, IMT
and the docs say the entry range systems like the 2240 are not supported
for CFT.

I don't see why it shouldn't work; I have IOM6s to replace the controllers
and free QSFP SAS ports on the FAS8200 target system.

I haven't yet tried pushing ahead in the 7MTT to see how far it will let me
go. I'm assuming there's logic in there that won't allow me to do the
transition with a 2240 source controller.

Has anyone else tried this?

Does anyone know why this is unsupported?

Source: FAS2240-2, 8.2.4P5 7m
Target: FAS8200, 9.1P5

Thanks
Re: 7MTT Copy-Free Transition from FAS2240-2 [ In reply to ]
In the guide for CFT, there is this little gem:

Platform models Copy-free transition is supported only on mid-end and
high-end FAS systems and IBM N series systems. To view the supported
platforms for 7-Mode and the target cluster nodes, see the Interoperability
Matrix Tool.

The FAS2240x is a low end model and falls out right there.

Technically, it may work, but you would be on your own!

Sorry, I know not the answer you wanted

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: 7MTT Copy-Free Transition from FAS2240-2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Tim.

Yes, I've seen that in the docs and checked IMT to confirm.

I'll raise a call with support. I may get lucky and be told there is is a
supported path for CFT with caveats. If not, I'll be quite disappointed
with Netapp. I understand that for most small systems it will be a wash
whether to use CBT or CFT but in a few corner cases, like mine, CFT would
be very helpful indeed. Assuming you have the IOM6 modules to replace the
controllers and a few extra SAS cables, I don't see why it would be an
issue.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I'll update the group if I find out
anything interesting.

Steve