hoping to utilize NVE with an external key management server. It turns out
the Onboard Key Manager does not appear to be FIPS compliant.

I am not very far down this rabbit hole yet, but the documents I am reading
so far only mention the Onboard Key Manager for use with NVE in 9.1

Could anyone (a) confirm the NVE feature is able to work with an external
key management server and (b) recommend any that i might research.

Thanks,

Jordan
Re: cDOT 9.1 , Netapp Volume encryption (NVE) and an external key management server. [ In reply to ]
You are correct.

From the Power Guide:

NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE) is a software-based technology for
encrypting data at rest one volume at a time. An _encryption key
accessible only to the storage system _ensures that volume data
cannot be read if the underlying device is _repurposed_, returned,
misplaced, or stolen.

Both data, including Snapshot copies, and metadata are encrypted.
Access to the data is given by a unique XTS-AES-256 key, one per
volume. An Onboard Key Manager _secures the keys on the same system
_with your data.

An external KMS would defeat that purpose...

And of course if you're paranoid you can combine NVE with NSE, but only,
if you decide to use the internal KM (also) for NSE.

Sebastian