Mailing List Archive

Remote shutdown of a filer
*** Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment you are advised to read the disclaimer at the end of this e-mail ***

We want to shutdown the filer in the event of a (more than 10 minute) power
failure to the computer room. We have a (NT hosted) script that hits all
the NT/2k servers and also telnets to the Sun server and "INIT 5"'s them.

Hunted around NOW site, and Google groups, but to no avail. Anyone got a
means (either from NT/2K or Sun) to automatically remotely (but cleanly!)
stop/halt the Filer. And can you power it off that way too?

No users will be operational (no UPS for the user community) so managing
remote connections is not a concern.

Thanks, Peter

******************************* Disclaimer *****************************
Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in
error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show
them to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
********************** http://www.burallplastec.com ********************
Re: Remote shutdown of a filer [ In reply to ]
Quoting message received from Peter Bryant:

> *** Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment you are
> advised to read the disclaimer at the end of this e-mail ***
>
> We want to shutdown the filer in the event of a (more than 10 minute)
> power failure to the computer room. We have a (NT hosted) script that
> hits all the NT/2k servers and also telnets to the Sun server and
> "INIT 5"'s them.
>
> Hunted around NOW site, and Google groups, but to no avail. Anyone
> got a means (either from NT/2K or Sun) to automatically remotely (but
> cleanly!) stop/halt the Filer. And can you power it off that way too?
>
> No users will be operational (no UPS for the user community) so
> managing remote connections is not a concern.

Configure rsh access for the IP/user of your sun and make a crontab that
runs:

$ rsh <filer> halt

Of course you can test rsh access with easier commands like "sysconfig"
or "echo".

Kind regards,

--
Stefan Funke | Arcor Online GmbH
Betriebs- und Systemadministration | Stresemannallee 30
RE: Remote shutdown of a filer [ In reply to ]
*** Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment you are advised to read the disclaimer at the end of this e-mail ***

Thanks to all on the list for the ideas. Have something to do it now.
Guess I really need to brush up my Unix knowledge/confidence.

Will let you all know when I first halt the server by mistake in testing :-)

Re: Remote shutdown of a filer [ In reply to ]
> Configure rsh access for the IP/user of your sun and make a crontab that
> runs:
>
> $ rsh <filer> halt
Using "rsh" might be a good idea(security concerns apart), i am not sure
about your "crontab" suggestion though.

Instead if you have Smart-UPS from APC, it comes with s/w that can be used
to shutdown Suns. There is also software for linux boxes.

I would put a script in /etc/rc3.d called KxxShutDownNetApp
(K subscript would ensure that this runs only when the machine is being
shutdown) make sure that the script runs only when shutdown because of
Power Loss and not EVERYTIME the machine is shutdown.

Put rsh filer halt in that script.

HTH

/dev/null

devnull@adc.idt.com
RE: Remote shutdown of a filer [ In reply to ]
In addition, there are network devices that can be configured
to remove power from the filer(ice-box comes to mind and there are others).

--
James E. Harm (Jim); jharm@llnl.gov