Mailing List Archive

Group quotas on shares
Does anyone have experience using group quotas on NT shares? Do I have to
include the group name in the /etc/group file? If so, how is this done?
Currently I have a local group of 20 users who have permission to access a
share. I want to place a 500MB quota on this share without using an
individual line in the /etc/quotas file for each user. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd Pucky
The Timken Company
Global Information Systems
Programmer/Analyst
Phone: 330.471.4583
E-Mail: puckyt@timken.com

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company
Re: Group quotas on shares [ In reply to ]
Todd,
Depending on your circumstances, one option would be to create a
qtree and setting its quota at 500 MB. To create the qtree, from the
filer console, type `qtree create <path>` where path is something to the
effect of /vol/vol0/<share>. Once the qtree is created, you can set up
the quota on the qtree by entering a line in the /etc/quotas file:
"<path> tree 500M". Don't forget to restart quotas on the filer by
turning quotas off then back on (in the future, any changes to the size
of the quota can be accomplished by quota resize, but since you've added
to the /etc/quota file, you have to restart them). Now you just need to
set up the CIFS share and you're set; the most that can be written to
that share is now set to 500MB.

Geoff Hardin
geoff.hardin@dalsemi.com

Re: Group quotas on shares [ In reply to ]
geoff.hardin@dalsemi.com (Geoff Hardin) writes:

[...]
> type `qtree create <path>` where path is something to the
> effect of /vol/vol0/<share>. Once the qtree is created, you can set up
> the quota on the qtree by entering a line in the /etc/quotas file:
> "<path> tree 500M". Don't forget to restart quotas on the filer by
> turning quotas off then back on (in the future, any changes to the size
> of the quota can be accomplished by quota resize, but since you've added
> to the /etc/quota file, you have to restart them).

If you are going to make many qtrees like this, set a default quota for
qtrees on the volume, by putting a line like "* tree@/vol/vol0 1G -"
in /etc/quotas. Then any new qtree gets that quota, and you can change
it if you need to by adding an explicit entry for it to /etc/quotas
and then using "quota resize": this way you can avoid "quota off" +
"quota on" completely (except when setting up the default qtree quota
in the first place).

That is, it's not exactly "adding to /etc/quotas" that means you have
to do "quota off" and "quota on": it's adding entries that mean WAFL
has to keep track of some usage that it wasn't previously tracking.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk