Mailing List Archive

Re: Nessus Plug-In Configuration -- is there a setting other than port scanner range that needs to be configured to setup a full TCP / UDP Scan
David ROBERT wrote:
>> Still, for increased performance and scan reliability, we recommend that you
>> use Nessus Windows on a server product such as Windows 2003 Server.
>
> I just switched to Windows 2003, the behaviour of nessus looks more
> reliable (range was taken into account)

We find 2003 to be a better scanning platform than Windows XP.

> However, afer 30 mn of testing and tricking, the "port scanner to
> use" in the option tab where all
> unselected, (on all the policies, event the default scan policy that I
> didn't use).

I'm not sure what your question is with this statement.

> I check again then the nessus TCP scanner, save and etc. then it stay checked
> But, again, Nessus ID : 19506 reports WARNING : no port scanner was
> enabled during the scan. This may lead to incomplete results
> If I save the session (.nessus) and then re-open the file, the port
> scanner to use are then again all unchecked.
>
> I spent a lot of time on this, it's driving me crazy
>
> Anyway, any help welcome, I'm currenlty evaluation solutions, I'd like
> to have this one working

There are two common errors I've seen people make when using the Nessus client:

1 - right after a user edits a scan policy, I have seen users inadvertently
select the wrong scan policy when laucnhign the scan.

2 - if you edit a policy, and you mark the 'Share this policy across multiple
session' check box, the policy will be here the next time you open any
.nessus file or start the NessusClient. Otherwise, the only way to save
your polices is to save a .nessus file.

You may want to start out by adding a new policy and scanning with that.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security