Mailing List Archive

plugin 33929
This plugin reported a web server I scanned as being vulnerable to SQL
injection. The actuall output is

+++++

The remote web server is vulnerable to SQL injection

Nessus ID : 33929 <http://cgi.nessus.org/nessus_id.php3?id=33929>

+++++

Nessus doesn't give, and I can't find, any details as to how it came to
this conclusion. The web server is running a default instance of IIS
6.0 and only displays the default IIS home page. There is no web
application running on this server.

This same plugin also reports the following as a separate record

+++++

Synopsis :

Nessus has determined that this server is NOT COMPLIANT with the
PCI DSS requirements.

Description :

The remote web server is vulnerable to some cross-site scripting
attacks (XSS), or implements old SSL2.0 cryptography, or runs obsolete
software, or is vulnerable to dangerous flaws (CVSS base score >= 4).

See also :

http://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_DSS

Plugin output :
+ A web server is vulnerable to SQL injection
+ A medium risk flaw was found. See:
http://www.nessus.org/plugins/index.php?view=single&id=10759

Nessus ID : 33929 <http://cgi.nessus.org/nessus_id.php3?id=33929>

+++++

Still no real details. Can you tell me how nessus determined this host
is vulnerable to SQL injection?

thanks
Re: plugin 33929 [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 05 November 2008 16:44:04 Scott Pate wrote:
> Nessus doesn't give, and I can't find, any details as to how it came to
> this conclusion.

Did you select "silent dependencies"? If so, try without it.
If not, could you send me the KB please?

Note that you should enable all plugins for a PCI DSS scan.

RE: plugin 33929 [ In reply to ]
I ran the test with silent dependencies disabled and there was no change
in the results.

Re: plugin 33929 [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 06 November 2008 15:01:47 Scott Pate wrote:
> I ran the test with silent dependencies disabled and there was no change
> in the results.

Could you send me the report and the KB, please?
Re: plugin 33929 [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 05 November 2008 16:44:04 Scott Pate wrote:
> This plugin reported a web server I scanned as being vulnerable to SQL
> injection.

We identified the problem and fixed it. It will soon be in the feed.
Thanks.

Note: in your situation, the bug was triggered by optimize_tests=no. This
configuration is not recommended (and it is slower).
RE: plugin 33929 [ In reply to ]
Well, now I'm confused. I noticed with the new NessusClient that there
was no longer an option to set 'optimize test' and I posted a question
about it. Renaud gave this response

++++++
Hi Scott,