"Nessus TCP scanner", put 21,22,80 in "Port scanner range", and disable ALL
the plugins. But when I start the scan, I can see some packets whose
destinations are 123, 135, 445... Is the port scanner ranger really works ??
Re: Port scanner range problem [ In reply to ]
On Friday 17 October 2008 11:38:53 Sylvain Lapendry wrote:
> I have a problem with the Nessus TCP scanner, especially with the port
> range.

No you don't :)

> I just want to scan a few ports (ie 21, 22, 80), so I've only
> checked "Nessus TCP scanner", put 21,22,80 in "Port scanner range", and
> disable ALL the plugins. But when I start the scan, I can see some packets
> whose destinations are 123, 135, 445...

These packets are sent by the TCP ping function from ping_hosts.nasl

Re: Port scanner range problem [ In reply to ]
Sylvain Lapendry wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a problem with the Nessus TCP scanner, especially with the port
> range. I just want to scan a few ports (ie 21, 22, 80), so I've only checked
> "Nessus TCP scanner", put 21,22,80 in "Port scanner range", and disable ALL
> the plugins. But when I start the scan, I can see some packets whose
> destinations are 123, 135, 445... Is the port scanner ranger really works ??

Is the port scanner the only plugin you have enabled? It sounds like you might
have some other plugins working. You should also enabled the "consider unscanned
ports closed" setting.

Ron

Re: Port scanner range problem [ In reply to ]
"Nessus TCP Scanner" is the only plugin checked, and "Consider unscanned
port closed" is enable, but I still have some packets whose destinations are
other ports than those in the "Port scanner range" field.