Mailing List Archive

Nessus error scan.exe with windows XP - please help
I keep getting a scan exe error with windows... How do I fix or avoid this?
I have tried several diffferent things to get this fixed but am looking for
other thoughts to get this fixed.

Thanks,
Dan
Re: Nessus error scan.exe with windows XP - please help [ In reply to ]
Dan,

What is the exact error that you are receiving? What version of Nessusd are you running and what OS version are you scanning from/to? Any other
details you can give would help us help you..

Dan Weiske wrote:
> I keep getting a scan exe error with windows... How do I fix or avoid this?
> I have tried several diffferent things to get this fixed but am looking
> for other thoughts to get this fixed.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Best Regards,

Paul Davis
Research Engineer
Tenable Network Security Inc
Phone: 410.872.0555 x245
www.tenablesecurity.com

Is your network TENABLE?
Re: Nessus error scan.exe with windows XP - please help [ In reply to ]
This is the error from Wndows XP SP2

Faulting application scan.exe, version 3.2.1.353, faulting module ntdll.dll,
version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00010cae.
Scanning a mixture of machines BSD, Linux, and Windows.
Then It just stops after a few minutes of scanning.

I've noticed that other versions of Nessus do not have issues. I've
currently gone back to the 3.0x version of the windows client.

Looks like others on the web with similar issues. Could it be due to the
TCP connections limit or a bad bug causing a crash in the software. Its too
bad... I really liked the new interface.

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Nessus error scan.exe with windows XP - please help [ In reply to ]
Dan Weiske wrote:
> This is the error from Wndows XP SP2
>
> Faulting application scan.exe, version 3.2.1.353, faulting module ntdll.dll,
> version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00010cae.
> Scanning a mixture of machines BSD, Linux, and Windows.
> Then It just stops after a few minutes of scanning.
>
> I've noticed that other versions of Nessus do not have issues. I've
> currently gone back to the 3.0x version of the windows client.
>
> Looks like others on the web with similar issues. Could it be due to the
> TCP connections limit or a bad bug causing a crash in the software. Its too
> bad... I really liked the new interface.

Hi Dan,

Nessus 3.2 Windows did have an issue working with multiple NICs in some
cases. Nessus 3.2.1 fixed this, however, a crash of scan.exe was not part
of that previous issue. Targets would simply not be identified. Most Windows
users weren't impacted by that issue, even if they have more than one NIC.

Can you send us a more exact system configuration with NICs and IP
addressing?

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security