UMTS Integration, Interoperability and Verification (UIIV)
(613) 765-4690
esn: 395-4690
Re: Documentation on NASL [ In reply to ]
On Wed Oct 12 2005 at 21:04, Ron Hariski wrote:

> Is there any documentation out there (that I don't have to pay for) for
> writing plugins.

I wrote a reference manual, but it does not say exactly how to write a
script. The simplest way, IMHO, is to look at existing scripts that
test similar flaws and write your script from there.

http://michel.arboi.free.fr/nasl2ref/
Re: Documentation on NASL [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 03:04:25PM -0400, Ron Hariski wrote:

> Is there any documentation out there (that I don't have to pay for) for
> writing plugins.

Michel Arboi makes available a online NASL reference manual:

http://michel.arboi.free.fr/nasl2ref/

You may find, though, that you can pick up the language by taking an
existing plugin and tweaking it to do what you want. I got started that
way and suspect most people, other than Michel and Renaud, did too.

PS: there have been sporadic reports of a tutorial about plugin writing
available at:

http://www.secguru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121

But each time this sort of question has come up and I go look it's not
working.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com
Re: Documentation on NASL [ In reply to ]
--- Ron Hariski <rhariski@nortel.com> wrote:

> Is there any documentation out there (that I don't have to pay
> for) for
> writing plugins.

Having come off my first plugin, Michel's site is the best for the
language reference. As for what you're trying to accomplish, an
existing plugin may help. It may help at a high level to describe
what you're trying to accomplish, though, to the list.

Jon