Mailing List Archive

Nessus core dump
Hello All,

Nessus works when target file contains A single IP address or A hostname in Full Qualified Domain Name notation.
i have assign the target file with single ip let us say 10.163.156.1 it works fine
#cat target
10.163.156.1

#nessus -q ip 1241 test1 test1 target result

and when i assign target file with A single IP address or A hostname in Full Qualified Domain Name notation it works
#cat target
hope.fr.nessus.org
#nessus -q ip 1241 test1 test1 target result

sytem crash when i execute this command, the target file contains
#cat target
hope.fr.nessus.org,10.163.156.1

#nessus -q ip 1241 test1 test1 target result

the nessusd.dump file conatins display
can't find PPA for /dev/lan0
can't find PPA for /dev/lan0
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: putshort (code) from /opt/iexpress/nessus/lib/libhosts_gatherer.sl.2

# strings /opt/iexpress/nessus/lib/libhosts_gatherer.sl.2 | grep put
putshort
putshort
#

Any solution to this ?

Reagards
Arul
Re: Nessus core dump [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:00:23PM +0530, Arul wrote:

> Nessus works when target file contains A single IP address or A
> hostname in Full Qualified Domain Name notation.
> and when i assign target file with A single IP address or A hostname
> in Full Qualified Domain Name notation it works
>
> #cat target
> hope.fr.nessus.org

Is there some reason you're using this particular hostname? Apart from
the issue of whether you're authorized to scan hosts in that domain,
there's another problem -- there's no A record for hope.fr.nessus.org,
only an MX record.

> sytem crash when i execute this command, the target file contains
> #cat target
> hope.fr.nessus.org,10.163.156.1

This syntax works for me with 2.0.10. Which version are you using?

> the nessusd.dump file conatins display
>
> can't find PPA for /dev/lan0
> can't find PPA for /dev/lan0
> /usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: putshort (code) from
> /opt/iexpress/nessus/lib/libhosts_gatherer.sl.2

Any chance these are leftover entries from previous attempts to get
Nessus running? If not, do they occur if you use hostnames with A
records?

George
--
theall@tifaware.com