Mailing List Archive

[2.0.3] snmpwalk 5.x+ doesn't work with nessus 2.0.3 - but I have a fix
Hello,

A friend pointed out that snmp_portscan doesn't work with the 5.x version of
snmpwalk - the -T command is deprecated, and the output format includes the
data type (INTEGER, STRING, etc) in the reply. (It used to look like:

TCP-MIB::tcpConnLocalPort.127.0.0.55.25.0.0.0.0.0 = 25

but now it looks like:

TCP-MIB::tcpConnLocalPort.127.0.0.55.25.0.0.0.0.0 = INTEGER:25

This friend of mine wrote a patch to add support for the 5.x version of
snmpwalk, configurable through a new radio button setting. (The default
setting is to use the old version)

Anyway, I have this patch (vs. v2.0.3) but the patch is almost as big as
snmp_portscan.c (it's 18k or so for like 20 lines of changes)- the context
diff apparently required a lot of context :) Where should I put this patch
(assuming you want it). I didn't want to post it to this list, since that
sometimes angers people.

If there's something bad about the new snmpwalk, I understand why you
wouldn't want to use it. Otherwise, I would recommend at least taking a
look at the patch because all the new linux distros come with this version,
and it's in the ports tree of at least FreeBSD.

Brian Costello <btx@calyx.net>