Mailing List Archive

Unstable branch re-opened
Hi all,

I'm pleased to inform you that the developement of Nessus 1.3.x has
officialy begun. The aims of Nessus 1.3.x is to make the code much
cleaner. In particular, during this developement cycle, we should :

- Fix the memory usage and memory leaks
- Replace all the linked lists used by the various components of Nessus
by much cleaner hash tables
- Rewrite NASL from scratch, using bison (if Michel's brain can come
back for a few weeks).
- Probably do more stuff (but what is above is really the most
important)

If you are one of those persons who do an hourly cvs checkout, and if
you want to continue to monitor the STABLE branch of Nessus, make sure
you now download the branch called NESSUS_1_2. If you want to toy with
death, continue to update your CVS repository "as is".

See http://www.nessus.org/cvs_manual.html for details.

I expect the developement cycle of Nessus 1.3.x to last at most six
months, maybe less. Once Nessus 1.3.x is considered as being stable,
it will be released as Nessus 1.4.0.

-- Renaud
Re: Unstable branch re-opened [ In reply to ]

> - Fix the memory usage and memory leaks
> - Replace all the linked lists used by the various components of Nessus
> by much cleaner hash tables
> - Rewrite NASL from scratch, using bison (if Michel's brain can come
> back for a few weeks).
> - Probably do more stuff (but what is above is really the most
> important)

add in native smb_functions, so that you can eliminate smb_nt.inc? and
that they run facter?

--
Michael Scheidell, CEO
SECNAP Network Security, LLC
Re: Unstable branch re-opened [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 05:26:14PM -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:

> > - Fix the memory usage and memory leaks
> > - Replace all the linked lists used by the various components of Nessus
> > by much cleaner hash tables
> > - Rewrite NASL from scratch, using bison (if Michel's brain can come
> > back for a few weeks).
> > - Probably do more stuff (but what is above is really the most
> > important)
>
> add in native smb_functions, so that you can eliminate smb_nt.inc? and
> that they run facter?

We'll see. Once NASL is rewritten, things will be very fast already.

-- Renaud