great and may change later
(-sU disables --scanflags unless -sS is added)

Yes / No ?
Re: SYN FIN scan [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:47:12PM +0200, Michel Arboi wrote:
> Here is a patch for nmap_wrapper to handle SYN FIN scans.
>
> It is good because:
> + http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2002/10/msg00275.html
>
> It is bad because:
> + Christmas Tree scan does the same thing, more or less.
> + This needs nmap 3.00 (no scanflags option in 2.54BETA)
> + The way nmap handles the *undocumented* scanflags option is not
> great and may change later
> (-sU disables --scanflags unless -sS is added)
>
> Yes / No ?

It might be interesting to start checking which version of nmap we have
at hand, and show the user the options depending on the result, because
this way, we won't have users thinking nmap is running whereas it's not
because of the use of a too new version.

That is, in the function plugin_init(), we could have something like:

int plugin_init()
{
int version = get_nmap_version(); /* This executes nmap -V and parses
the output */

if(version > 0300)
show_some_3x_specific_option();
else
show_less_options();
}

-- Renaud
RE: SYN FIN scan [ In reply to ]
I suggest to make this a "configure time" option.

There are several ways to do this.

Problem with this approach: there is currently no mechanism to configure the plugins (I think)
We could change make_world to configure the plugins first, but this is not really correct.

I think we should start to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS here...

Re: SYN FIN scan [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:52:05PM +0200, Nennker, Axel wrote:
> I suggest to make this a "configure time" option.

I'm against this - you can upgrade nmap after having installed Nessus,
and this should not force you to re-install nessus-plugins.

-- Renaud