Mailing List Archive

Re[2]: Database back end for nessus / diffing scans
On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:29:06 +0530 (IST) Rajkumar S <raj@protectix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Devin Kowatch wrote:
>
> > This seems like an un-necessary and inconvient restriction. I run
> > my nessus scans from cron, which allows the things you mention in
> > the next paragraph.
>
> I suggested this because this was mearly an extension of the email
> scan. But if you are running from cron it may be difficult to write
> only the difference to the DB.
>
> > Is there any reason not to just make a new output module which
> > writes to the database rather than producing a report (like html
> > or nsr) so that detached mode is not required.
>
> None. except that if detached scan is used then setting this under
> cron is not required.
>
> > Another option is to parse the output NSR/XML file....
>
> Hm... Some thing I am doing already.

Hi,
I'm also working on automated scans. I let nessus run from my
crontab and generate .nsr files for every scan it performs. After that my
script will generate html output with the differences between all the
scans, as well as the "similarities" between scans.

Well, you'll have to see it to understand i guess :-) Look here for a short
preview, suggestions are welcome offcourse!

http://kickapoo.bit.nl/NesCafe/p00/
login: p00 (those are zero's, not o's !!)
password: ubg1xii

> > Humm, The problem with only registering differences is that you
> > loose assurances that the scan was run.
>
> We can write the time a scan was finished in one table, whether it was
> different or not along with the number of plugins the scan ran. But
> the results go to another table.
>
> > And no, you can't just trust Nessus correctly run a scan every
> > time.
>
> What happens now when the nessus fails on a scan and email scan is
> used?
>
> raj

/\ ___/
Edwin Eefting /- \ _/ Business Internet Trends BV