Mailing List Archive

Re: xml format hosed?
Thu, 2002-01-03 at 11:30, David E. Wach wrote:
> <scanner
> 10180="no"
> 10277="yes"
> 10278="yes"
> 10331="no"
> 10335="yes"
> 10336="yes"
> 10796="no"
> />
>
> (doesn't like the second like for some reason)

That is going to be treated like an attribute. And that'll be a
nightmare and unfeasible (albeit not impossible) to use like that. A DTD
would be unworkable (schema likewise). Actually, ~I~ wouldn't know how
to make that work well but others can pipe in.

I think a better structure would be:

<scanner>
<plugin id="10180" value="no"/>
<plugin id="10277" value="yes"/>
..
..
</scanner>

> If I yank out that section, then it kacks on:
>
> <plugins
> SMB use domain SID to enumerate users[entry]:Start UID :="1000"
> SMB use domain SID to enumerate users[entry]:End UID :="1200"
> Web mirroring[entry]:Number of pages to mirror :="10"
> />

Same basic problem (attribute) and made worse by using spaces and
special characters. If it was <plugins></plugins> w/ CDATA and proper
encoding (hex values) in-between, plus UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 specified at
the top... ack...

Renaud asked me to work on a DTD over the break and these are some of
the issues I ran into. I was going to ping Renaud this weekend but this
is a well-enough opening. Lionel? Renaud?

Maybe it's my lack of understanding but I think bits of the new format
are pretty unworkable and/or incorrect.

If ya'll disagree, just tell me to shove it. If you agree or are unsure
I can work on an alternative with you. -Ali

p.s. Renaud, get a chance to look at the schema I sent you before the
break?

--
PGP 53F7FF5F -- 6662 5087 119D 8D18 8501 8A8D C583 97B6 53F7 FF5F