will not fix this since it isn't viewed as an important problem.

Hank

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: BGP and memory size [ In reply to ]
I hope the smiley face was omitted accidentally!

The bug report was junked (by the way, we don't junk legitimate
bug reports) because the router in question was a 7200 with 32M
of memory taking full routing from several peers. It simply
didn't have enough memory. There was no evidence of a memory leak.
Needless to say, if there had been a leak, it would have
had high priority.

The gent who opened the bug report in the first place was
"unfamiliar" with the environment. :-)

Robert.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: BGP and memory size [ In reply to ]
Re: BGP and memory size [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Robert Craig wrote:
In the future to avoid misunderstandings, suggest that closed or junked
problems contain a fuller explanation as you stated below.

> I hope the smiley face was omitted accidentally!
>
> The bug report was junked (by the way, we don't junk legitimate
> bug reports) because the router in question was a 7200 with 32M
> of memory taking full routing from several peers. It simply
> didn't haveenough memory. There was no evidence of a memory leak.
> Needless to say, if there had been a leak, it would have
> had high priority.
>
> The gent who opened the bug report in the first place was
> "unfamiliar" with the environment. :-)
>
> Robert.
>
> HankNussbacher wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps Cisco is just trying to force us to buy more memory:
> >
> > ID: 79764
> > Feature-set: bgp
> > Title: Memory Leak in BGP Router process
> > Reported: 11.1(7) 11.2(2)
> > State: J
> >
> > There appears to be a Memory Leak in BGP Router Process.
> >
> > Notice the State. It is J - which stands for Junked - which means they
> > will not fix this since it isn't viewed as an important problem.
> >
> > Hank

Hank Nussbacher

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: BGP and memory size [ In reply to ]
Agreed, the release notes should have been updated with the
reason the bug was being junked.

Robert.

Re: BGP and memory size [ In reply to ]
In cisco.external.nanog you write:

>Agreed, the release notes should have been updated with the
>reason the bug was being junked.

Better for the junked bugs to not show up.. I am contacting folks to fix it..

--ravi