http://cnnfn.com/digitaljam/9609/05/internet_crash_pkg/index.htm

- paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]
I think someone summed it up well on com-priv (forget who) by using
the famous Yogi Berra quote: Nobody goes there anymore, it's too
crowded.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | bzs@world.std.com | http://www.std.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]
Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]
yeah, I like this part:

"
Bob Metcalfe, now executive correspondent for InfoWorld, was
one of the pioneers who designed early versions of the Net.
"

hrmm... yup, boy he had such a great impact on the design
of IP...

the guy created ethernet, which is a worthwhile accomplishment,
but that doesn't qualify him as an expert on IP, let alone the complex
web of related issues. dammit.

Ed

Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]

> An 'interesting' article entitled:
>
> Is the Internet doomed?
>
> Massive increases in traffic have triggered debates about the 'Net's fate
>
> is worth a gander:
>
> http://cnnfn.com/digitaljam/9609/05/internet_crash_pkg/index.htm
>
> - paul

#define RANT_MODE 1

Am I the ONLY one who thought it was *absolutely priceless* that
the first 2 paragraphs were arranged like this:

NEW YORK (CNNfn) -- Traffic on the
Internet, particularly on the World Wide Web,
has positively exploded in the last two years,
and this has triggered heated debates over the
system's vulnerability.
Data traffic on the 'Net today is already 25
times what it was just two years ago, and there
appears to be no reliable way to predict how
fast that demand will increase.
(2.07 MB QuickTime Movie)

Yes, that's right.

Right after complaining that data traffic is on the increase, they
have a link to a 2MB QuickTime movie to _illustrate_ that traffic
is increasing.

I wonder if they bothered to study how much extra traffic that silly
2MB quicktime movie they included was generating on its own, and
how much they could have delayed the "imminent collapse" of the
Net simply by leaving off the movie?

Don't they understand that the only reason the Net is having these
problems is that _Everyone_ is doing stupid things like adding
unnecessary quicktime movies to web pages without thinking about
the consequences, and without being held responsible for the
extra bandwidth they will consume?

*sigh*

I guess you've just got to laugh at cases like these, because if
you don't, you'll end up quitting, and taking off for the next
unbesmirched horizon...

#undef RANT_MODE

Matt Petach

trying not to be bitter...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]
At 05:16 PM 9/6/96 -0700, Matthew Petach wrote:

>I guess you've just got to laugh at cases like these, because if
>you don't, you'll end up quitting, and taking off for the next
>unbesmirched horizon...

Yes, you definately need a sense of humor to be in this business. ;-)

- paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Film at eleven [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Mark Boolootian wrote:

> >I think someone summed it up well on com-priv (forget who) by using
> >the famous Yogi Berra quote: Nobody goes there anymore, it's too
> >crowded.
>
> I thought this came from a speech Reed Hundt gave recently.

http://www.fcc.gov/Speeches/Hundt/spreh629.txt

It's like Yogi Berra's old line about a popular restaurant: "Nobody ever
goes there any more; it's too crowded."

Isn't the Internet wonderful? I didn't even need a search engine to find
this one...

Michael Dillon - ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc. - Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com - E-mail: michael@memra.com