Thanks,
Mike

---------------------------------------
Mike Levy, PhD, PE (206)217-0158, fax:282-9445
Cortland Electronics Corp. mike@cortland.com
1509 Queen Anne Ave N., Suite 274 http://www.cortland.com
Seattle, WA 98109

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]
The interNIC has already stated that allocations can *not* be guaranteed
to be 'routable', so it stands to reason that the interNIC (or any other
registry, for that matter) need not concern itself with the issue of
portability. As you mentioned, this is strictly a matter between the ISP(s)
and the customer(s).

- paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]
> The interNIC has already stated that allocations can *not* be guaranteed
> to be 'routable', so it stands to reason that the interNIC (or any other
> registry, for that matter) need not concern itself with the issue of
> portability. As you mentioned, this is strictly a matter between the ISP(s)
> and the customer(s).
>
> - paul

I think portable wrt the NICs may be:

(1) The 'Portable' vs. 'Non-Portable' marker on the ISP IP request template

(2) The 'Portable' vs. 'Non-Portable' marker on whois queries that says:

ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

Now, as to what it *means*, it probably means that if you asked the NIC
in question, they'd say 'touch luck' if you wanted to contest a SWIPping
away from you of the space, I suppose.

Of course, since the NIC refuses to delegate > /16s worth of in-addr.arpa,
unless you have a <= /16 from your provider, you're not going to get useful
in-addr.arpa from your old provider if they don't want you to.

Avi

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]
At 09:48 PM 6/3/96 -0400, Avi Freedman wrote:

>I think portable wrt the NICs may be:
>
>(1) The 'Portable' vs. 'Non-Portable' marker on the ISP IP request template
>
>(2) The 'Portable' vs. 'Non-Portable' marker on whois queries that says:
>
> ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE
>
>Now, as to what it *means*, it probably means that if you asked the NIC
>in question, they'd say 'touch luck' if you wanted to contest a SWIPping
>away from you of the space, I suppose.
>
>Of course, since the NIC refuses to delegate > /16s worth of in-addr.arpa,
>unless you have a <= /16 from your provider, you're not going to get useful
>in-addr.arpa from your old provider if they don't want you to.
>
>Avi

It would appear, then, that a better definition for 'portable' needs to
come in existence. Which is why I particularly liked
draft-ietf-cidrd-addr-ownership-07.txt.

After re-reading draft-hubbard-registry-guidelines-01.txt, its not readily
apparent what 'portability' really means; I'm not so sure that it was the
goal of the authors to define portability.

It does state, however, that:

[snip]

2) Routability: Distribution of globally unique Internet addresses
in a hierarchical manner, permitting the routing scalability of
the addresses. This scalability is necessary to ensure proper
operation of Internet routing, although it must be stressed that
routability is in no way guaranteed with the allocation or
assignment of IPv4 addresses.

[snip]

Hence my earlier comment.

The topic is discussed in more detail in draft-ietf-cidrd-addr-ownership-07.txt:

[snip]

Since the Internet does not constrain its topology (or allowed
topology changes), we can either have address ownership for everyone
or a routable Internet, but not both, or we need to develop and
deploy new mechanisms (e.g., by decoupling the address owned by the
end users from those used by the Internet routing, and provide
mechanisms to translate between the two). In the absence of new
mechanisms, if we have address ownership ("portable" addresses) for
everyone, then the routing overhead will lead to a breakdown of the
routing system resulting in a fragmented (partitioned) Internet.
Alternately, we can have a routable Internet, but without address

Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]
Paul,

> The topic is discussed in more detail in
> draft-ietf-cidrd-addr-ownership-07.txt:

Interesting that you reference a draft that was opposed by numerous
people, and did not reach 'rough concensus', to support a new draft :-)

It is like building your house on quicksand.... it is sure to sink
into the quick eventually....

As you can see, many of us are engaged in 'contract issues' at the
moment .... viz. (Contract and RA) and are not actively commenting
on this draft.... but, IMO, it requires 'some work' to move
toward an objective engineering document and has obvious bias that
is still not technically supported (emotionally supported, yes).

If you could contain this discussion, for the moment in the PIER-WG
and out of the radar range (i.e. NANOG) for a while it would be
appreciated, I think. But then again, you are certainly free to
do PIER-WG work in NANOG... but why?

Best Regards,

Tim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]
Tim,

This stemmed from a 'what *is* portable?' discussion. I believe its
relevant in NANOG, regardless of overlap into an IETF WG topic.

In any event (and to open old wounds), I *liked* the addr-ownership
draft and believed it should've been advanced as BCP, but I digress.
Whether or not there was consensus that it should have been adopted
and advanced is not relevant; the topics it discussed surely are.

- paul

Re: Portability of 206 address space [ In reply to ]

The InterNIC has not mandated non-portability, they have strongly
encouraged it.

Kim Hubbard
InterNIC Registry