Mailing List Archive

mae-west corrigenda
I wrote:

| Indeed, one would have to be VERY uncharitable to MERIT

and this in fact is true, but mostly because a source has
indicated that it is ISI's responsibility to keep the RSes
functioning.

I also wrote about the RA's committment to MAE-WEST,
indicating that I believed the RA had no formal responsiblity
to offer an RS and support at MAE-WEST. I have found an EOWG
(or is it FEPG?) document stating that:

Currently there is one route server located at MAE-W/FIX-W.
This is independent of the route servers at the NAPs. Ames
has committed to having the RA service available at MAE-West
and will recover the costs from the attached networks. All
the agency networks have indicated that their organizations
are willing to compensate Ames for operating the interconnection
point on a cost recovery basis.

[."Proposal for the Continued Interconnection of the
Federal Agency Networks", December 11, 1995 Version 1.0]

Which seems to confirm my belief.

I wonder how many of the people who were cut off from the
MAE-WEST RS and suffered as a consequence have paid NASA for
their portion of the costs?

Maybe this _isn't_ a requirement under the Space Act, but
then again, maybe people using the RS at MAE-WEST are paying,
or maybe nobody realized that the RS paid for by NASA Ames
is being used by commercial entities (presumably both those that
are NASA Ames tenants and those that are NOT tenants)
making profit from that use?

Sean. (account compromised by cook@cookreport.com?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: mae-west corrigenda [ In reply to ]
Sean is usually very careful with his choice of words but in this instance
I am afraid I don't understand the use of "compromised".

Also I have a question. Leaving aside the question of commercial use... I
am in St Petersburg Russia now....which is why, unfortunately I will miss
a Nanog meeting that is otherwise physically near me, and I will not tackle
*this* issue from here, Sean in an earlier comment implied that if sprint
were running a RS like the one at Mae West, it could be profitable because
it would be a good easy and cheap source of peering for other ISPs.
Would Sean or someone else elaborate on this? For example I didn't think
it was the case that if Sprint is now using the services of the RA
that being connected to the route server at MAE west would have been the
same thing as having full peering with Sprint? Exactly what kind of
connectivity DO you get from the use of the RS there or anywhere eles
assuming that the RS is working.

The COOK Report on Internet Individ. hard copy $150
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA Small Corp & Gov't $200
(609) 882-2572 phone and fax Corporate $350
Internet: cook@cookreport.com Corporate Site Lic. $650
http://pobox.com/cook/ for new report: "Tracking Internet Infrastructure"

Re: mae-west corrigenda [ In reply to ]
Gordon: