Mailing List Archive

FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service
Pac Bell has announced their LA NAP is operational. Contact and details below.

--Kent

----------

I am pleased to announce that Pacific Bell has installed, tested and is
ready for service at our LA NAP. If you are interested in service in the
LA area please contact your Pacific Bell account representative or respond
via email to nap-info@PacBell.com.

The Los Angeles area StrataCom BPX ATM switch is designated HLWDCA01,
located at 1429 N. Gower Street, 2nd floor, Hollywood, California. The NPA
NXX information is 213 468. Initial service will be at the DS3 rate. With
our upgrade to StrataCom's BPX release 8.1, scheduled for June '96, we will
offer OC3c UNI access in both LA and Bay Area NAPs.

NAP service continues to be offered under a California Public Utilities
Commission approved Market Trial.

Jim

J. P. Diestel
Director
Internet NAP Marketing
510-824-7244
jpdiest@popper.pacbell.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 7 May 1996, Kent W. England wrote:

> Pac Bell has announced their LA NAP is operational. Contact and details below.

Is there not already a MAE-LA? Why would thay have an LA NAP if even
MAE-LA hasn't taken off as of yet?

Just a question.

Christian Nielsen
Vyzynz International Inc. cnielsen@vii.com,CN46,KB7HAP
Phone 801-568-0999 Fax 801-568-0953
Private Email - Christian@Nielsen.Net BOFH - cnielsen@one.dot PS :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service [ In reply to ]

> On Tue, 7 May 1996, Kent W. England wrote:
>
> > Pac Bell has announced their LA NAP is operational. Contact and details below.
>
> Is there not already a MAE-LA? Why would thay have an LA NAP if even
> MAE-LA hasn't taken off as of yet?
>
> Just a question.
>
> Christian Nielsen

Yes, there is. I would expect that the NAP service is offering
is an extention of the existing BayArea service. This approach
reduces the cost of entry of entry for people you are in the So.Cal.
area to a local loop charge.
It appears that thye believe that a "distributed" service is
more effective than two seperate exchanges.

--
--bill
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service [ In reply to ]
Original message <199605072153.AA13332@zephyr.isi.edu>
> > On Tue, 7 May 1996, Kent W. England wrote:
> >
> > > Pac Bell has announced their LA NAP is operational. Contact and details below.
> >
> > Is there not already a MAE-LA? Why would thay have an LA NAP if even
> > MAE-LA hasn't taken off as of yet?
> >
> > Just a question.
> >
> > Christian Nielsen
>
> Yes, there is. I would expect that the NAP service is offering
> is an extention of the existing BayArea service. This approach
> reduces the cost of entry of entry for people you are in the So.Cal.
> area to a local loop charge.
> It appears that thye believe that a "distributed" service is
> more effective than two seperate exchanges.
>

> --
> --bill
>-- End of excerpt from Bill Manning

As far as I know, PacBell wouldn't be permitted to extend PVCs between
the LA NAP and the SF NAP

-matthew kaufman
matthew@scruz.net
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
RE: FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service [ In reply to ]
>From: Matthew Kaufman[SMTP:matthew@scruz.net]

>From: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning)

>> > Is there not already a MAE-LA? Why would thay have an LA NAP if even
>> > MAE-LA hasn't taken off as of yet?
>> >
>> > Just a question.
>> >
>> > Christian Nielsen
>>
>> Yes, there is. I would expect that the NAP service is offering
>> is an extention of the existing BayArea service. This approach
>> reduces the cost of entry of entry for people you are in the So.Cal.
>> area to a local loop charge.
>> It appears that thye believe that a "distributed" service is
>> more effective than two seperate exchanges.

>As far as I know, PacBell wouldn't be permitted to extend PVCs between
>the LA NAP and the SF NAP

I have had several discussions with PacBell concerning NAP connections to
both sites, and at no time have they indicated the ability to provide
connectivity between them. To the best of my knowledge, they look at the
two (SF and LA) as separate facilities. They are both 'virtual meet
points' which utilize ATM connections into the PacBell cell relay clouds,
but these clouds are isolated - they do not extend beyond the borders of
each LATA. They expect you to obtain a circuit _into_ the LATA from an
IXC.
--
Jim Browning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: FWD: Pacific Bell's LA NAP in service [ In reply to ]
Bill Manning writes:

> > On Tue, 7 May 1996, Kent W. England wrote:
> >
> > > Pac Bell has announced their LA NAP is operational. Contact and details below.
> >
> > Is there not already a MAE-LA? Why would thay have an LA NAP if even
> > MAE-LA hasn't taken off as of yet?
> >
> > Just a question.
> >
> > Christian Nielsen
>
> Yes, there is. I would expect that the NAP service is offering
> is an extention of the existing BayArea service. This approach
> reduces the cost of entry of entry for people you are in the So.Cal.
> area to a local loop charge.
> It appears that thye believe that a "distributed" service is
> more effective than two seperate exchanges.

If they can pull this inter-lata connection off without involving an
IXC, they would be selling long distance services immediately
rather than NAP services ;-) I understand PacBell will be ready to
provide inter-lata service early next year.

--pushpendra

Pushpendra Mohta pushp@cerf.net +1 619 455 3908
Director, CERFnet http://www.cerf.net +1 619 455 3995 (FAX)