Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers [ In reply to ]
All,

>Paul A Vixie writes:
>
> > The organizations that export/import routes via the route servers may find:
> >
> > 1) the routers have fewer configured peers therefore resulting
> > in less load on the routers
> > 2) the route servers have route flap dampening implemented thereby
> > insulating the peer from a high number of routing updates
> > 3) the route servers do the routing computations which results
> > in freeing significant amounts of processing time on the peer routers
> > 4) a reduction in the time and energy (people resources) needed to
> > establish new peering relationships
> >
> > --Elise
>
> I, as an example of an "organization" as described above, have found these
> things to be true. The startup transient is high -- all those this-objects
> and that-objects. But once it's up and running, adding route relationships
> is much easier using the route server than by adding BGP sessions.
>
> Of course, I don't do anything complicated. I understand that Sean and
> others have found that they need to do things with their route import and
> export rules that the route servers don't have a way of expressing. Perhaps
> if I were running a net as large as Sean's I would have his troubles.

Some providers have indicated that the route servers would better
serve their needs if: 1) the RSs implemented only a subset of the
policy expressed in the IRR and 2) the RSs could do proxy aggregation.
The configurations of the RSs support both of those requirements
now. The policy language does not yet support this in a "standard"
fashion, but that is being addressed in the RPS working group.

The RA has implemented requirements that providers have when a
provider communicates what is needed. I can't find any messages
from Sean indicating what he would like to express but can't.
The RA team is always willing to work with providers to meet
their needs.

--Elise
Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers [ In reply to ]
At 2:12 PM 4/30/96, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>Setting aside the technological barriers to such an arrangement, an
>optimal configuration would be one in which all routing entities peer with
>one another at all available locations, so as to provide the shortest path
>between routing communities.

I believe that the optimal configuration would actually involve only
one routing entity and no peering at all. I'm pleased that instead
we've implemented a model which (while not optimal) allows for a
growing Internet service provider industry. Solutions which are
optimal under one constraint tend to degenerate in the real world.

Shortest-exit routing and equivalent distributed peering is used to
avoid settlements for transit costs. If there's a strong demand
for dissimiliar peering, then it's likely to appear with settlements.

/John
Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Randy Bush wrote:

> peerage, like sex these years, has a great potential for the transmission
> of disease. so one is very careful about with whom one peers. the route
> servers are more like a bath house, you're excahnging bodily fluids with
> every and any body.

Interesting analogy...but not quite accurate. RS-based peering would be
more like...a routing orgy among a group of peers, where a central entity
organizes the bodily routing fluids and directs them, according to
prearranged policy, to the appropriate indirect peers. It breaks down
there...:-)

Your statement implies that, when peering via an RA route server, one is
required to accept (and advertise) any and all routes. This is wholly
untrue. The RS's use policy information from the RADB to do routing
calculations, resulting in a centralized routing model rather than a
distributed one. Yes, it makes policy decisions for you...but based on
your own policy indications.

> some exchanges have multi-lats. how many are actually used by the bigger
> players and how many are ignored in favor of multiple bi-lats?

I don't know of very many exchanges that have MLPA's, but at the Ameritech
(Chicago) NAP...

-----