Mailing List Archive

Re: the Internet Backbone
At 10:32 AM 4/5/96, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>> From: Avi Freedman <freedman@netaxs.com>
>> Everyone (of importance) agrees that in order to claim you're a backbone
>> you have to (now, not a year ago) be connected to at least 2 public NAPs/MAEs
>> and have at least one circuit that runs at DS3 or higher speed.
>>
>No, that is not correct.
>
>A US Internet "backbone" is one which connects to ALL the NAP/MAEs in
>the US. Not just two. All of them.

Bill,

I'm not sure that's a viable definition. First, the number of MAE's
seems to be increasing withou bound, and secondly, there are points
that you don't want to connect due to their performance. Finally, is
"connecting" considered the same as "peering"?

/John
Re: the Internet Backbone [ In reply to ]
Bill sez: A US Internet "backbone" is one which connects to ALL the
NAP/MAEs in the US. Not just two. All of them.

=====
Bill: what backbone would that be? I am unaware that there is any
single backbone that meets those criteria. Is your point that there is no
single US internet backbone? if so, why not just say so?