Mailing List Archive

regional aggregation
> From: Dalvenjah FoxFire <dalvenja@ict.org>
> I'm not sure if this is the most completely wrong place to ask this
> question, so please forgive me if it is, but I'm not sure where else
> to ask it...

This is the right place, as you are talking about operational issues.

> As someone who's about to renumber a public school district from a /24
> to something else, what would be the smallest network to get (from
> InterNIC) that would pretty much be guaranteed to be routed for the next
> few years? I'm thinking a /22 at the moment, but am not sure.
>
> Granted the best solution would be go to our provider (all the schools
> in Santa Clara County, CA go through the county office of education for
> internet access) and have them get an /18 or something and distribute
> that, but they don't seem to want that. Should I push them for this
> solution?

Yes, you should. If all traffic goes that way, it is the root of the
topology. Please renumber topologically.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
Key fingerprint = 17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26 DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32
BSimpson@MorningStar.com
Key fingerprint = 2E 07 23 03 C5 62 70 D3 59 B1 4F 5E 1D C2 C1 A2