MSN...

From the local rag news paper:

"MCI, Microsoft to jointly market on-line services

WASHINGTON -- MCI Communications Corp., switching its Internet Strategy,
said it will team up with Microsoft Corp. to jointly market and develop
services for the burgeoning on-line industry"

The story later goes on to say:

"MCI will promote Microsoft Network, the No. 4 U.S. on-line service, and
sell Microsoft's Internet software through its SHL Systemhouse unit"

Interesting, No?

-alex
Re: MCI to market MSN [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 alexy@alpha.c2.org wrote:

> MCI and Microsoft will now be building networks together, MCI ditching
> Netscape and starting to sell Microsoft network access tools & pushing
> MSN...

Interesting considering: MCI and News Corp. have an agreement to jointly
develop/promote InternetMCI and Delphi. And UUNET and Microsoft have an
agreement to provide Internet access/MSN dialup.

Wonder if this sort of thing is anything like the cable/telco/media
"interactive TV" alliances of a year or two ago?

Christopher E Stefan http://www.ironhorse.com/~flatline
System Administrator Home: (206) 706-0945
Ironhorse Software, Inc. Work: (206) 783-6636
flatline@ironhorse.com finger for PGP key
Re: MCI to market MSN [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Christopher E. Stefan wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 alexy@alpha.c2.org wrote:
>
> > MCI and Microsoft will now be building networks together, MCI ditching
> > Netscape and starting to sell Microsoft network access tools & pushing
> > MSN...
>
> Interesting considering: MCI and News Corp. have an agreement to jointly
> develop/promote InternetMCI and Delphi. And UUNET and Microsoft have an
> agreement to provide Internet access/MSN dialup.

Last paragraph of article read:

" MCI's move is a step away from its relationship with News Corp,, whose
Delphi on-line service, with 200,000 customers, is about a quarter the
size of Microsoft's MSN."

Bye Bye, Delphi.

It is a wonder to me that Microsoft is using UUNET for MSN dialup and MCI
for, to quote the article, "Internet access and telecommunications
provider". If I was with UUNET, I certainly would be upset that I get to
watch modems blink while MCI gets to hyperstream.

> Wonder if this sort of thing is anything like the cable/telco/media
> "interactive TV" alliances of a year or two ago?

Can we now get MSNBC over our MCI ISDN?

Did anyone else note the MSNBC advertisement following the SuperBowl?

alex
RE: MCI to market MSN [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:01:36 -0800 (PST) alexy@alpha.c2.org wrote:
>MCI and Microsoft will now be building networks together, MCI ditching
>Netscape and starting to sell Microsoft network access tools & pushing
>MSN...
>
>>From the local rag news paper:
>
>"MCI, Microsoft to jointly market on-line services
>
> WASHINGTON -- MCI Communications Corp., switching its Internet Strategy,
>said it will team up with Microsoft Corp. to jointly market and develop
>services for the burgeoning on-line industry"
>
>The story later goes on to say:
>
>"MCI will promote Microsoft Network, the No. 4 U.S. on-line service, and
>sell Microsoft's Internet software through its SHL Systemhouse unit"
>
>Interesting, No?

How does this affect UUnet (who provides Internet infrastructure for MSN)
and MCI?

>-alex

Hank Nussbacher Manager, Internet Technology Programs
Telephone: +972 3 6978852 Vnet: HANK at TELVM1
Fax: +972 3 6978115 Internet: hank@ibm.net.il
IBM Israel
2, Weizmann St.
Tel Aviv 61336 ====== ======= === ===
http://www.ibm.net.il/ ====== ======== ==== ====
Dialup registration: 177-022-3993 == == == ==== ====
Company services: 03-6978663 == ====== == === ==
Internet sales fax: 03-6978115 == == === == = ==
Enquiries: info@ibm.net.il ====== ======== === ===
Technical support: noc@ibm.net.il ====== ======= === ===
Re: MCI to market MSN [ In reply to ]
Yes, especially given that now after taking a new order for an additional
T-1 line to the MCI backbone they are all of a sudden "reevaluating" their
position with regard to selling to resellers and not processing the order...

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 alexy@alpha.c2.org wrote:

> MCI and Microsoft will now be building networks together, MCI ditching
> Netscape and starting to sell Microsoft network access tools & pushing
> MSN...
>
> >From the local rag news paper:
>
> "MCI, Microsoft to jointly market on-line services
>
> WASHINGTON -- MCI Communications Corp., switching its Internet Strategy,
> said it will team up with Microsoft Corp. to jointly market and develop
> services for the burgeoning on-line industry"
>
> The story later goes on to say:
>
> "MCI will promote Microsoft Network, the No. 4 U.S. on-line service, and
> sell Microsoft's Internet software through its SHL Systemhouse unit"
>
> Interesting, No?
>
> -alex

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc. (206) 455-3505 (voice)
Professional Internet Services
edm@nwnexus.WA.COM