Mailing List Archive

Chiappa blows his brains out (was Re: Policy Statement)
> Oh, good, the multi-homing discussion again.

> (The loud "bang" you just heard was Noel blowing out his brains in sheer
> desperation and frustration.)

You're misinterpreting my question. The fault must be mine; I guess that
my query wasn't specific enough. Let me put it another way:

GIVEN that there exists some set of organizations who want to purchase
multiple T1s from multiple independent suppliers for purposes of
reliability and load sharing yet have need for less than 255 unique IP
addresses, and GIVEN that certain extremely popular software products (such
as Netscape Navigator) which are important to these organizations were
developed by programmers who seem to have no knowledge of either efficiency
or the way that the Internet works, and GIVEN that I have sufficient
knowledge about routing as is necessary to fully understand every technical
issue involved, and GIVEN that I have a rudimentary and imperfect
understanding of the political and economic issues regarding IP numbering
and the propagation of routes thereunto, HOW do I resolve the conflict
between justifiable corporate service requirements and the expressed
statements on these mailing lists the past few weeks which seem to imply
that anyone who does not consume at least a /18 worth of address space is
not worthy of being globally routed?

I am asking, I suspect, not for a technical answer (there being none other
than Chiappa's "it's gonna cost"), but the most politically correct answer
to give the organization (which is not Netscape).

jms

Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Phone: +1 520 324 0494 (voice) +1 520 324 0495 (FAX)
jms@Opus1.COM http://www.opus1.com/jms Opus One

PLEASE NOTE: The useful parts of Arizona changed
from area code 602 to area code 520 on March 20, 1995.
Re: Chiappa blows his brains out (was Re: Policy Statement) [ In reply to ]
Joel_M_Snyder@Opus1.COM writes
> GIVEN that there exists some set of organizations who want to purchase
> multiple T1s from multiple independent suppliers for purposes of
> reliability and load sharing yet have need for less than 255 unique IP
> addresses, and GIVEN that certain extremely popular software products (such
> as Netscape Navigator) which are important to these organizations were
> developed by programmers who seem to have no knowledge of either efficiency
> or the way that the Internet works, and GIVEN that I have sufficient
> knowledge about routing as is necessary to fully understand every technical
> issue involved, and GIVEN that I have a rudimentary and imperfect
> understanding of the political and economic issues regarding IP numbering
> and the propagation of routes thereunto, HOW do I resolve the conflict
> between justifiable corporate service requirements and the expressed
> statements on these mailing lists the past few weeks which seem to imply
> that anyone who does not consume at least a /18 worth of address space is
> not worthy of being globally routed?
>
> I am asking, I suspect, not for a technical answer (there being none other
> than Chiappa's "it's gonna cost"), but the most politically correct answer
> to give the organization (which is not Netscape).

You present a hard edge case that isn't particularly well met by the current
infrastructure and it can't necessarily be done well or even done at all.
(Sean's tricky chocolate-consulting hack excluded). Probably the best
thing that be currently supported is getting two diverse connections to
a single provider that can globally aggregate your network. The connections
should go to different POPs and should follow seperate physical paths.
This should provide you the desired reliability and load sharing.

-scott
RE: Chiappa blows his brains out (was Re: Policy Statement) [ In reply to ]
Scott,

>You present a hard edge case that isn't particularly well met by the current
>infrastructure and it can't necessarily be done well or even done at all.
>(Sean's tricky chocolate-consulting hack excluded). Probably the best
>thing that be currently supported is getting two diverse connections to
>a single provider that can globally aggregate your network. The connections
>should go to different POPs and should follow seperate physical paths.
>This should provide you the desired reliability and load sharing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly the kind of pragmatic
advice I was looking for. Saying "don't do it" or "multihoming costs" is
not helpful -- this sort of answer is.

Regards,

Mathew
Re: Chiappa blows his brains out (was Re: Policy Statement) [ In reply to ]
Scott,

] You present a hard edge case that isn't particularly well met by the current
] infrastructure and it can't necessarily be done well or even done at all.
] (Sean's tricky chocolate-consulting hack excluded).

Why is it excluded?

It's too easy for people to make up reasons why they shouldn't
have to think, or heaven forbid, renumber. I'd wager a pound of
reese's pieces that Sean threw those paragraphs out of his mind,
with less than an hour's thought. The tricky thing about Sean is
realizing that he thinks about problem solutions, not excuses as
to why the problems can't be solved.

As for the reordering crisis, order the book from the Phonics people, it
might help -> D-H-C-P. What? Your software doesn't support it?
Erm, call your sales rep. Make threats; threaten to go to
Microsoft who does.

These things can be done, and the current state of the net can be
much eased by providers enforcing prefix aggregation impetus. It
could also be done by being "good net.citizens" and all that
ruckus, but the masses don't move unless forced to.

Somone needs to force them.

Thank you, Sprint, for slowing the acceleration with your /19
policy. Now, let's see if we can't decrease the problem with
historical prefix aggregation rules, or retirement so as to achieve
the same effect.

-alan
Re: Chiappa blows his brains out (was Re: Policy Statement) [ In reply to ]
From: Scott Huddle <huddle@mci.net>

Probably the best thing that be currently supported is getting two diverse
connections to a single provider that can globally aggregate your network.
The connections should go to different POPs and should follow seperate
physical paths. This should provide you the desired reliability and load
sharing.

This solution has been pointed out before.

Also, Dorian Kim sent in a good message to the Big-Internet list talking about
reliability (the stated goal of most multi-homing), and the 7 places you could
do redundancy, and what was really important in achieving reliability, which
contained a lot of good insight. Here's his message (appended).

Noel

--------