I would be curious to hear what the concensus (as if there might
be one) is.

-alan
Re: Censorship, Obligations, and Legal Responsibility [ In reply to ]
Since I install internet connections everyday as a Field Service Engineer
I wounder if I could be held personal responible for hooking up a "pervert"?

Re: Censorship, Obligations, and Legal Responsibility [ In reply to ]
I hate to throw a wet blanket at Alan, but I would really
prefer to redirect this kind of philosophical/legal question
to either the cix-members list or to com-priv.

I don't want to see NANOG dissolve into a forum for discussing
legal issues, principally because a/ it's *NA*NOG, and the law
is different in places in north america outside the USA,
which many people invariably tend to forget, and b/ such
discussions invariably attract long-winded flamefests.

Given that such issues really don't overly affect network
operations at this point in time, perhaps we won't be too
bad off not dealing with them on this mailing list.

Sean.
Re: Censorship, Obligations, and Legal Responsibility [ In reply to ]
I should also point out that the reason I suggested cix-members
is simply because the CIX has gone to bat with an amicus brief
in a case involving precisely this question, and while I know
Bob Collet reads NANOG with his Sprint hat on, asking him about
the very angry Church of Scientology matter is best done in a place
where he wears his CIX hat, I think.

Besides, I'm sure he has scads of information about this entire
set of issues he'd love to share. :)

Sean.
Re: Censorship, Obligations, and Legal Responsibility [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Sean Doran wrote:

> I hate to throw a wet blanket at Alan, but I would really
> prefer to redirect this kind of philosophical/legal question
> to either the cix-members list or to com-priv.

I totally agree -- and migrating this discussion to a more appropriate
forum is not "throwing a wet blanket" at the original poster. It is
merely locating a more efficient and demographically optimal venue in
which to carry on the discussion.

I think the original question is one that needs to be asked and discussed,
just not here. I have been disappointed of late to see the usefulness (in
terms of what I believe the mission of NANOG to be) index of the NANOG
list traffic erode considerably as the discussions wandered far afield of
what, IMHO, should be the focus for this discussion group.

Thanks for the suggestion, Sean.

/Jerry