Hey there

Is it possible to connect Any2 IX from Equinix LA?

OneWilshire used to be the place to be, is this still the case? I see in
peeringdb Equinix has added a lot of networks.

Appreciate if someone with recent experience to share their
recommendations. The goal is to reach as many as asian isps thru pni/ix
connectivity

Thanks
Re: Lax dc / ix questiob [ In reply to ]
On 2/12/24 06:16, mehmet at akcin.net (Mehmet) wrote:
> Hey there
>
> Is it possible to connect Any2 IX from Equinix LA?

Yes, its possible but might not make financial sense.

You will need a connection from Equinix Los Angeles (any of their 7
datacenters) over to any of CoreSite's datacenters (any of their 3).

The fee for this is more expensive then a traditional "cross connect" in
that you will be using an on-net carrier that exists in both Equinix and
CoreSite to provide you a layer 2 connection.

This could be anyone like Cogent, Zayo, etc. Or a dark fiber service
like American Dark Fiber[1]. Or even another customer who has a presence
in both.

The lowest cost would be to find another customer who has a presence in
both and leverage an existing connection they have.

Sadly, this is only half the battle. Once you get a connection from
Equinix to CoreSite, you need to contact CoreSite sales to get on the
Any2West.

If you have a cabinet at any of CoreSite's datacenter, this is a simple
cross connect fee to Any2West.

However if you do *not* have a cabinet, then you can connect to Any2West
via a "Remote Connection." A remote connection will allow you to connect
to Any2West directly from an on-net carrier. CoreSite will charge you a
monthly fee for this, on top of what ever it costs you to get a layer 2
connection from Equinix to CoreSite.

Run the math and see if it makes sense to get a cabinet at CoreSite vs a
remote connection. In our case, the cost was about the same.

As someone who has a cabinet next door to One Wilshire, all the cross
connects and layer 2 fees got very expensive.

> OneWilshire used to be the place to be, is this still the case? I see in
> peeringdb Equinix has added a lot of networks.

From my experience, Any2West[2] is still the most connected IXP for
SoCal. The Equinix IXP[3] is closely matched when you look at the total
number of members but also who is on there.

Here are other IXPs in SoCal that you may want to take a look at.

BBIX[4]
MegaIX Los Angeles[5]
NYIIX Los Angeles[6]

MorePeering / Peering.LA [7] -- this one looks interesting as it appears
to be under development but community driven one.

Note: Some of these IXP require a monthly fee to join, on top of a cross
connect fee an on-net carrier fee depending on where their POPs are.

> Appreciate if someone with recent experience to share their
> recommendations. The goal is to reach as many as asian isps thru pni/ix
> connectivity

Look at the BBIX IXP[4] and see if any of those members are interesting
to you.

[1]: https://americandarkfiber.com/
[2]: https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/142
[3]: https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/4