It will be interesting to see how code enforcement officials reacts to
moving the stand-alone communication wiring installation practices into
the general enforcement part of the NEC.
Re: NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2026 first draft changes [ In reply to ]
> It mostly just renumbers/reorganizes the NEC. Old time electricians will
> grumble because almost every code number changes.

The NEC is included *by copy* in some state statutes, is it not? If so, I
wonder how that will affect those.

[ * rather than 'by reference' ]

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Re: NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2026 first draft changes [ In reply to ]
On 1/29/24 16:11, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> It mostly just renumbers/reorganizes the NEC. Old time electricians will
>> grumble because almost every code number changes.
>
> The NEC is included *by copy* in some state statutes, is it not? If so, I
> wonder how that will affect those.

I believe so. The actual text has long been behind a paywall, but could
be accessed on some state websites. NFPA has softened the paywall to
view it but you still need to jump through some registration hoops.

Typically the individual AHJ will specify a publication date of NEC as
authoritative and it's often a few years behind the latest publication.
Local authorities can and do make additions and changes from NEC. No
Romex allowed in Chicago, for example.

--
Jay Hennigan - jay@west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
Re: NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2026 first draft changes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 8:05?AM Jay Hennigan <jay@west.net> wrote:

> On 1/29/24 16:11, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >> It mostly just renumbers/reorganizes the NEC. Old time electricians will
> >> grumble because almost every code number changes.
> >
> > The NEC is included *by copy* in some state statutes, is it not? If so,
> > wonder how that will affect those.
>
> I believe so. The actual text has long been behind a paywall, but could
> be accessed on some state websites. NFPA has softened the paywall to
> view it but you still need to jump through some registration hoops.
>
> Typically the individual AHJ will specify a publication date of NEC as
> authoritative and it's often a few years behind the latest publication.
> Local authorities can and do make additions and changes from NEC. No
> Romex allowed in Chicago, for example.

AFAIK, it's free access albeit via the 'free' pay wall. Soft is a good
description.

For example once logged in:
https://www.nfpa.org/product/nfpa-11-standard/p0011code

You'll only see the "purchase option" on the page, but once you scroll down
you'll see "free access" on the right outer side. The text is watermarked,
but it's OK for non-craft users to do specific lookups. Works.

Looks like you can subscribe online and get the clean PDF's for printing
via their NFPA Link service for ~$100 per seat. HTH.

Warm regards,

-M<