else in the current CG-NAT setup stays unchanged. This makes each CG-NAT
cluster 64 fold bigger. And, various capabilities become available.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-11 22:35)

Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Not going to lie, EzIP just seems to be some version of destination/source
NAT on steroids.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
The problem isn't the quantity of "inside" CG-NAT address space. It's the
existence of CG-NAT at all.

It doesn't matter if the available space is a /12 or a /4, you still need
something to translate it to the public internet. The existence of that
CG-NAT box is a thorn in every provider's side and every provider that has
one wants to make it go away as quickly as possible.

The quickest and most straightforward way to eliminate the need for any
CG-NAT is to move to a bigger address space. As I pointed out, IPv6 is
already ready and proven to work so moving to IPv6 is a straightforward
process technically. What isn't straightforward is convincing IPv4 users
to move. Until the cost (or pain) to stay on IPv4 is greater than the cost
to move, we're going to see continued resistance to doing so.

Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Hi, Christopher:

1) "  destination/source NAT  ":

    I am not sure about this terminology. Could you please elaborate?
If you are referring EzIP being a bigger CG-NAT, it is exactly correct.
That is, the first step of EzIP implementation is just to give CG-NAT a
larger netblock to work with, so that the chore of dynamic address
assignment to the client may be avoided.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-12 07:16)

Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
"Source NAT changes the source address in IP header of a packet. It may
also change the source port in the TCP/UDP headers. The typical usage is to
change the a private (rfc1918) address/port into a public address/port for
packets leaving your network."

"Destination NAT changes the destination address in IP header of a packet.
It may also change the destination port in the TCP/UDP headers.The typical
usage of this is to redirect incoming packets with a destination of a
public address/port to a private IP address/port inside your network."

Source:
https://serverfault.com/questions/119365/what-is-the-difference-between-a-source-nat-destination-nat-and-masquerading

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Hi, Christopher:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-13 11:42)