Mailing List Archive

Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block
Hi, Michael:

1)    " ... While you may be able to get packets from point A to B in a
private setting, using them might also be .. a challenge. ...   ":

    EzIP uses 240/4 netblock only within the RAN (Regional Area
Network) as "Private" address, not "publicly" routable, according to the
conventional Internet definition. This is actually the same as how
100.64/10 is used within CG-NAT.

2)    However, this might be where the confusion comes from. With the
geographical area coverage so much bigger, an RAN is effectively a
public network. To mesh the two for consistency, we defined everything
related to 240/4 as "Semi-Public" to distinguish this new layer of
networking facility from the current public / private separation. That
is, the CG-NAT routers will become SPRs (Semi-Public Routers) in EzIP's
RAN, once the 240/4 is deployed.

Hope this helps,

Abe (2024-01-11 12:21)

Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Abraham,

You're arguing semantics instead of the actual point. Residential customers want Internet access, not intranet access. Again, VRFs are plentiful and so are CG-NAT firewall appliances or servers to run those VMs.

Save yourself the time and effort on this and implement IPv6.

Ryan

[https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free.www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>