Mailing List Archive

202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block
Hi, Enno:

0)    Thanks for your comments referring to historical efforts.

1)    However, the "IPv4 Unicast Extension Project" that your paper
cited does not make any specific recommendation about how to utilize the
240/4 netblock uniformly across the entire Internet. Our proposal, EzIP
outlines a scheme that makes a clear use of the 240/4 by the general
public, basically discouraging disparate private usages. We were very
much lost with what has been going on with the 240/4 netblock, because
there was no information about who were using it for what. The RIPE-Lab
report clarified the fact that it has been fragmented due to unannounced
activities by multi-national conglomerates and likely nerds, while under
the cover of "Reserved for Future Use".

2)    " As you state yourself this could be considered "unorthodox, if
not controversial". ... usually means 'breaks something' ":

    I am afraid that you read into my diplomatic expression too far.

    A.    The first step of the EzIP proposal is to enhance the CG-NAT
by providing it with a much larger netblock, as I presume that Karim is
looking for. Such process (disabling the program code that has been
disabling the use of 240/4) does not need any running code to prove it.
To be blunt, anyone who claims that this will be a real task only shows
that he does not know his own code.

    B.    The second EzIP step is to utilize RFC791 for setting up
end-to-end links which the Internet has not been able to deliver. This
is because the current predominant CG-NAT based CDN business is a
master-slave model which does not support it. However, this capability
is like international postal or telephony services that are not daily
needs for everyone. So, it should be treated as a premium service that
can be built up with time base on demand.

    Let's not mixing B. with A. as a one-shot job in this discussion.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-10 22:10 EST)

Re: 202401101433.AYC Re: EzIP Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
I shouldn't probably go down this path... as I know this has been discussed
but I'm hoping that this might make a difference.

Abraham,

Even if 240/4 is "fixed", your EzIP scheme will require some sort of NAT
box between the 240/4 addressed devices and the non-EzIP internet. That
NAT box will have to remain in place until such time as every single
publically addressed device on the public internet has been updated to
support EzIP. In addition, protocols such as DNS, SIP, and others which
pass around addresses will need to be updated to be able to pass the full
EzIP addressing around so endpoints can properly insert the EzIP header,
and so on.

The point I'm trying to make is that, at this point, deploying EzIP as an
end to end address exhaustion solution has MORE challenges that simply
deploying IPv6 would. This is because, just like EzIP, deploying IPv6
requires a NAT box of some sort to be put in place until the last IPv4
device is turned off. But unlike EzIP, almost every new device coming out
supports IPv6 out of the box. All of the technical standards work has
already been done. Thus, the only meaningful barrier to IPv6 at this
point is convincing people to use it, not convincing people to use it PLUS
convincing the tech companies to support it, and doing protocol changes
like you would with EzIP.

I applaud your attempt at a unique solution but I really feel that ship has
sailed, at least for an EzIP type of solution. Maybe something like this
would have better received years ago, but at this point IPv6 is a much more
logical path forward.

I do wonder, however, if some of your concepts might be able to be
applied to the IPv6 transition. I have some ideas here, but most, if not
all, of them are only partially cooked but some have similar approaches as
EzIP but with an actual IPv6 packet inside.