Mailing List Archive

Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas
Team,

We are having issues in our lasvegas office & it shows geolocation in all browsers as Israel instead of US region when we access news.google.com in our PC.

Our public ip is 129.46.96.20.

Can you help to whom we can contact to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Raja
Re: Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas [ In reply to ]
Looks like (according to RDNS) it's a "global NAT" address. Is it only
being used in the continental US, or other countries?

If the former, check that geofeeds are correctly configured and registered
with Google in their ISP Portal.

If the latter, you're going to encounter issues.

Regards,
Christopher H.

Re: Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas [ In reply to ]
For Google-related sites specifically and if you haven't already, it's
worth publishing an RFC8805-compliant geofeed and submitting it to them via
their ISP portal at https://isp.google.com/ if you have an account with the
announcing ASN affiliated to it. This is assuming that the IP you specified
is linked to an organization and network you're affiliated with, which
based on your email's domain and the announcing ASN is most likely the case.

For other sites and geolocation databases, it's worth submitting the same
geofeed to each DB/provider individually via email or by following the
information on https://geolocatemuch.com/ to enable other DBs/providers to
automatically discover and update their databases.

Regards,
Peter Potvin

RE: Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas [ In reply to ]
Hi Christopher,

It is used only in continental US & we also reported this issue to at noc@google.com<mailto:noc@google.com>.

Any further info to be provided to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Raja

WARNING: This email originated from outside of Qualcomm. Please be wary of any links or attachments, and do not enable macros.
Looks like (according to RDNS) it's a "global NAT" address. Is it only being used in the continental US, or other countries?

If the former, check that geofeeds are correctly configured and registered with Google in their ISP Portal.

If the latter, you're going to encounter issues.

Regards,
Christopher H.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 18:14, Raja Sekhar Gullapalli via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org<mailto:nanog@nanog.org>> wrote:

Team,

We are having issues in our lasvegas office & it shows geolocation in all browsers as Israel instead of US region when we access news.google.com<http://news.google.com> in our PC.

Re: Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas [ In reply to ]
As Peter and I have mentioned, you'll need to register a geofeed with
Google. An example can be downloaded from
https://isp.google.com/static/downloads/example-geo-feed.csv and registered
in the ISP Portal.

Having said that, it may be worthwhile checking-in with your internal IP
Network Operations team (if you don't have access to manage this). Being
Qualcomm, I'd imagine relationships with Google would already exist.

Regards,
Christopher H.

Re: Issue with Geolocation in Lasvegas [ In reply to ]
On 04/01/2024 9:13, Raja Sekhar Gullapalli via NANOG wrote:

https://www.iucc.ac.il/en/blog/2021-05-google-geo-location/

:-)

Regards,
Hank