Mailing List Archive

Fiber/OSP Technician Training and Apprenticeship Programs
Hey all,

I've recently been working with our county's broadband task force,
investigating the expansion and equity of broadband networks on a
local and state level. Through that, it's become clear that there's a
painful shortage of fiber / outside plant technicians in the state of
Michigan (if not nation-wide) in order to fulfill the workforce
requirements of maintaining the current broadband fiber infrastructure
in the state, much less to fuel fiber expansion, and especially in
rural areas. There appear to be few options for training the required
workforce, especially outside of the large enterprises that have the
resources to run their own internal programs, and small (or even
mid-sized) ISPs seem to be left with predominantly informal
person-to-person transfer of internal knowledge, assuming that they
have the required internal knowledge in the first place. This need for
a qualified workforce is exacerbated in the face of the multitude of
state and federal programs to encourage broadband internet expansion
and equity, such as the upcoming $42.5 billion in BEAD grant funding
and corresponding construction starting in ~12-18 months state- and
nation-wide.

As a result, our workforce development team over here at Mott
Community College (Genesee County, MI) is working to develop a fiber /
outside plant training and apprenticeship program in order to help
address this shortage of qualified personnel and training options at a
local and state level. We're looking for some industry contacts that
would be interested in collaborating with us to establish high-level
requirements regarding what skills need to be taught to prospective
fiber / outside plant technicians, what qualifications trainees should
have after completion in order to fulfill current workforce demands,
and to otherwise provide input in sketching out a high-level
curriculum. We're looking for feedback from a wide cross-section of
industry stakeholders -- large enterprise backbone transit providers,
rural residential ISPs, fiber co-ops and municipal networks,
operations and outside plant managers, etc. -- in order to determine
what the industry wants and needs, and how the entire community
college system can help meet those needs.

If anyone thinks that they have valuable input to provide regarding
these workforce requirements, or knows the right people to talk to,
please reach out and let me know!

Rhys Barrie (He/Him)
Network Engineer - Mott Community College
Member - Genesee County Broadband Task Force
(810) 762-0030 | rhys.barrie@mcc.edu | https://mcc.edu/
Re: Fiber/OSP Technician Training and Apprenticeship Programs [ In reply to ]
I personally find college, for the most part, as a scam and simply a quick
way to enter into debt. Yes there are exceptions, like everything.

I/We started doing fixed wireless in 2006 with no training. We started
fiber to the home in 2019 with little training - a neighbor to the north
showed us splicing to get us comfortable enough to try it ourselves. This
does go back to your "person-to-person transfer of internal knowledge" of
course, but with Youtube University it's certainly doable if you're
willing. I've done light mechanical work on trucks/cars to avoid paying
someone else. I know a great mechanic that had no help, no education, but
was put in a place with no money and a broken car and they fixed it
themselves. Necessity breeds innovation.

If you're looking for input on your class I'm happy to provide you with
some input at no cost to you. I still believe the average person willing
to put in work can simply learn themselves, but maybe someone who is dead
set on college would find their way into construction/OSP through your
course.

Re: Fiber/OSP Technician Training and Apprenticeship Programs [ In reply to ]
On 2023-11-16 2:51 pm, Rhys Barrie via NANOG wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've recently been working with our county's broadband task force,
> investigating the expansion and equity of broadband networks on a
> local and state level. Through that, it's become clear that there's a
> painful shortage of fiber / outside plant technicians in the state of
> Michigan (if not nation-wide) in order to fulfill the workforce
> requirements of maintaining the current broadband fiber infrastructure
> in the state, much less to fuel fiber expansion, and especially in
> rural areas. There appear to be few options for training the required
> workforce, especially outside of the large enterprises that have the
> resources to run their own internal programs, and small (or even
> mid-sized) ISPs seem to be left with predominantly informal
> person-to-person transfer of internal knowledge, assuming that they
> have the required internal knowledge in the first place. This need for
> a qualified workforce is exacerbated in the face of the multitude of
> state and federal programs to encourage broadband internet expansion
> and equity, such as the upcoming $42.5 billion in BEAD grant funding
> and corresponding construction starting in ~12-18 months state- and
> nation-wide.
>
> As a result, our workforce development team over here at Mott
> Community College (Genesee County, MI) is working to develop a fiber /
> outside plant training and apprenticeship program in order to help
> address this shortage of qualified personnel and training options at a
> local and state level. We're looking for some industry contacts that
> would be interested in collaborating with us to establish high-level
> requirements regarding what skills need to be taught to prospective
> fiber / outside plant technicians, what qualifications trainees should
> have after completion in order to fulfill current workforce demands,
> and to otherwise provide input in sketching out a high-level
> curriculum. We're looking for feedback from a wide cross-section of
> industry stakeholders -- large enterprise backbone transit providers,
> rural residential ISPs, fiber co-ops and municipal networks,
> operations and outside plant managers, etc. -- in order to determine
> what the industry wants and needs, and how the entire community
> college system can help meet those needs.
>
> If anyone thinks that they have valuable input to provide regarding
> these workforce requirements, or knows the right people to talk to,
> please reach out and let me know!
>
> Rhys Barrie (He/Him)
> Network Engineer - Mott Community College
> Member - Genesee County Broadband Task Force
> (810) 762-0030 | rhys.barrie@mcc.edu | https://mcc.edu/

The Fiber Optic Association may be of interest to you. "The FOA is an
international non-profit educational association that is chartered to
promote professionalism in fiber optics through education, certification
and standards."

https://www.thefoa.org/

I read a couple of their e-books to self-teach myself some fiber
knowledge circa 2016 and it was good material.