Is this yet another misbehaving device or an actual attack?

Thanks,

Hank
Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Same stuff (with our ASN and our prefixes) detected here, coming
from AS2027 (Milkywan), for a short time...

--
*Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le "message") sont
établis à l’intention exclusive des destinataires désignés. Il contient des
Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Hank, all exact match for prefix length? Or longer subnets covering the
whole?
(Is this leakage of a optimizer or possibly censorship leakage?)

Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,
I'm working for MilkyWan / AS2027 and I wanted to give you some
explanations regarding this incident. Last week-end, during an upgrade
on our network configuration, it appears that some prefixes were
announced with an incorrect AS Path. Based on our analysis, none of
these routes seem to have been announced anywhere, but to some
route-collectors (RIPE RIS, BGP.Tools, Qrator, HE.net, NLNOG RING), and
therefore didn't effectively end up in the DFZ.
The issue was discovered quickly (in a few minutes) and corrected right
away.
The incident is now closed on our side; please reach out to us should
you see anything proving otherwise.

We deeply apologize for that and we can confirm it was not a BGP hijack
attempt.

Wishing you a very pleasant day.

Vincent F. for Milkywan Team

Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the transparency, Vincent. Are you able to share how the AS-Path
became mangled to begin with? I’m assuming this was some kind of route
optimizer, but maybe something else going on?

Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Hey everybody, I run bgp.tools, (And had a extremely busy alerting
engine for a few minutes)

From what bgp.tools can see it seems like they had a private asn in
the path like so

```
2027 4220270000 6696 6939 42615 212232
```

This can be valid for a number of reasons, ( they might have been
doing some homemade BGP confederation for example ), and I assume
then that they had enabled some kind of private asn filter that had
not quite done what they expected. I think what they are expecting
was the part to look like this:

```
2027 6696 6939 42615 212232
```

However instead the private AS stripping function instead did this,
and sent it to their customers/collector feeds:

```
2027
```

This then obviously made everything look like a BGP origin hijack to
all of the route collectors and alerting systems.

It's worth noting that bgp.tools saw this from more than MilkyWan
directly, but also from what I can assume are their customers. But I
don't see any indication this faulty routing information propagated
anywhere else than that. ( To sort of backup the response that Vincent
has already provided us)

Hope this provides some interesting insight, and maybe some future heads up :)

Re: BGP hijack? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Because we were migrating our default table containing the DFZ into a
VRF, we had a BGP session between 2 routers terminating on one side in
the main table and on the other in the VRF. We had to remove the
no-export from our redistribution route-map because of this private eBGP
peering.

As we were concerned about reachability with transits and peerings on
both sides, we tried to activate a route-leak between the main table and
the newly installed VRF DFZ.

However, as a route-leak doesn't retain BGP attributes, routes started
to be learned in originate from the router containing the route-leak. So
there was no hijacking on the DFZ. Moreover, my route collector
listening on the DFZ did not identify any hijack during the entire
migration.

On the Transit and Peering side, we are subject to max-pref on the
provider side, and we have a route-map in prefix-list specific to our AS
+ customer community.

However, we consider Route Collectors as customers, who redistribute
prefixes greater than or equal to /24 or /48, minus bogons, and based on
no-export, we don't send our internal routes. Except that in addition to
the route leak, the no-export was removed, which let through all IGP
originate routes to our customers, and route collectors.

The problem was quickly identified, we cut the route leak and stopped
all transits and peering in main table to leave only the DFZ and work on
the end of migration having only some LNS not configured in the good
VRF, and finished the migration direction from the new VRF DFZ.

So don't rely on the Route Collector, which is updated at the whim of
the various operators, but compare what's also in the DFZ before firing
up the mailing lists. What's more, route collectors are not necessarily
configured in the same way as standard peers, depending on the operator.
This remains a mistake on our part, which has only resulted in horrors
on the monitoring route collectors and not on the DFZ routes. So Route
Collectors don't behave at all like transit or peering, given the lack
of max pref, prefix-list or RPKI.

But hey, it's quicker to send a flaming mail before typing your show ip
route, I agree ;)

My 2 cents,

Nicolas