Thanks,
Matt

Matt Harris
VP OF INFRASTRUCTURE
Follow us on LinkedIn!
matt.harris@netfire.net
816-256-5446
www.netfire.com
Re: Openstack modules for nx/juniper [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

At a previous employer (a telecom) I integrated OpenStack with CIsco NSO
with the NFV Orchestrator plugin. You didn't mention any use cases but
after gleaning a bit about your employer's offerings, I don't think this
option will fit your needs. I'm not familiar with a solution that wouldn't
require significant customization for your use cases. You're attempting to
integrate compute orchestration with network orchestration, but it seems
many compute projects treat the network as a black box not to be integrated
with or at least not in a 'turn-key' way.

I suggest rethinking the idea that networking should be controlled from
OpenStack, but instead think of them as discrete resource domains to be
orchestrated. There are an abundance of free and open source
workflow engines that can fill the requirement for an orchestrator. I
also suggest taking a look at the MEF LSO framework, as it provides a good
starting point for designing the integration. To do this right you should
start with service modeling to map out the relationships between these
components and model the use case workflows, before writing any code.

I think trying to embed network orchestration into OpenStack requires a
more rigid integration that is at greater risk to changes within
OpenStack's internal structure, which for most projects, typically isn't as
stable as external interfaces.

I hope this helps and I'm very curious to learn what solution you settle on.

Best,
Josh