Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
On 9/13/23 9:27 PM, Bryan Fields wrote:
> I think this qualifies as potentially operational.
>
> Afrinic placed in receivership, board elections to be held in six months:
> https://archive.ph/jOFE4

Looks like archive.ph is having problems. This is the original article.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
Indeed - AFRINIC has been going through quite a bit over the few months – including loss of their governing board – but the receiver appointment actually provides a fairly straightforward path towards resolution.

See the NRO statement on this matter for specifics.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers

<https://www.nro.net/nro-statement-on-appointment-of-an-official-receiver-for-afrinic/>
NRO Statement on Appointment of an Official Receiver for AFRINIC | The Number Resource Organization<https://www.nro.net/nro-statement-on-appointment-of-an-official-receiver-for-afrinic/>
nro.net<https://www.nro.net/nro-statement-on-appointment-of-an-official-receiver-for-afrinic/>
[apple-touch-icon-180x180.png] <https://www.nro.net/nro-statement-on-appointment-of-an-official-receiver-for-afrinic/>

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 9:04?AM John Curran <jcurran@arin.net> wrote:

> Indeed - AFRINIC has been going through quite a bit over the few months – including loss of their governing board – but the receiver appointment actually provides a fairly straightforward path towards resolution.
>
> See the NRO statement on this matter for specifics.

I don't see the appointment of a technical advisor to the receiver
related to the party which is suing AFRINIC as positive.
Sounds more like a conflict of interest to me.

Rubens
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Sept 2023, 15:06 John Curran, <jcurran@arin.net> wrote:

> Indeed - AFRINIC has been going through quite a bit over the few months –
> including loss of their governing board – but the receiver appointment
> actually provides a fairly straightforward path towards resolution.

John,

The receiver appointed showed up at AFRINIC offices with an IT contractor
who is a party directly involved in ligitations against AFRINIC.

How is such an act a fairly straight forward path forward. ?

Noah

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Sept 2023, 15:53 John Curran, <jcurran@arin.net> wrote:

> Noah -
>
> Indeed, that was a less than ideal situation – but I will note that the
> technical advisor was sent away by the Receiver once the Receiver was
> apprised of his litigation against AFRINIC.

John

It was not a less than ideal situation. Please dont take things lightly
here.

This issue of the so called Technical Advisor showing up with the Official
Receiver at AFRINIC offices is a real concern to us considering the lack of
transparency by the OR on the matter.

Noah

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
Noah -

I have had serious concerns with the operational risk posed by AFRINIC’s lack of governance body and lack of CEO – and thus have provided updates to NANOG several times to keep the community informed – but now there is finally a clear path to resolution; a situation that I see as far better than the convolutions of the organization over the past year with zero progress.

You indicate that there is a real concern with the appointment of a receiver for AFRINIC – despite the fact that the receiver is directed by the court to hold an election for a new board of directors within six months.

(Prior to this appointment, there has been no progress in getting AFRINIC back to normal member-elected governance – while one might have expected the individual directors to work together to achieve this outcome, that did not occur.)

Could you elaborate on the "real concern” that now exists so that operator community can better understand? The receiver may not operate transparently with respect to the community, but does operate under court supervision and authority – I concur that this isn’t the typical way that we’d like an RIR to operate, but it is quite reasonable stricture for an organization that remains inquorate for nearly a year.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
Are amicus briefs a thing in the court governing AFRINIC's operations?

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
That’s a legal question, and so should be answered by a lawyer of competent jurisdiction… I am not such an individual, but I do understand that for parties that have a bona fide business interest with AFRINIC, it should be possible to contact the honorable receiver in order to obtain clarity on how any given matter will be handled.

Hope this helps,

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
> On Sep 15, 2023, at 06:30, Noah <noah@neo.co.tz> wrote:
>

> On Fri, 15 Sept 2023, 15:53 John Curran, <jcurran@arin.net <mailto:jcurran@arin.net>> wrote:
>> Noah -
>>
>> Indeed, that was a less than ideal situation – but I will note that the technical advisor was sent away by the Receiver once the Receiver was apprised of his litigation against AFRINIC.
>

> John
>
> It was not a less than ideal situation. Please dont take things lightly here.

Not less than ideal? So was it ideal or more than ideal?

Owen
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
* nanog@nanog.org (Owen DeLong via NANOG) [Fri 15 Sep 2023, 19:26 CEST]:
>On Sep 15, 2023, at 06:30, Noah <noah@neo.co.tz> wrote:
>>On Fri, 15 Sept 2023, 15:53 John Curran, <jcurran@arin.net> wrote:
>>>Indeed, that was a less than ideal situation – but I will note
>>>that the technical advisor was sent away by the Receiver once
>>>the Receiver was apprised of his litigation against AFRINIC.
>>
>>It was not a less than ideal situation. Please dont take things lightly here.
>
>Not less than ideal? So was it ideal or more than ideal?

I'd like to introduce you to a linguistic concept called the
understatement.

-- Niels.
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
A much better explanation of the situation can be found at:

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/03/nrs_afrinic_review/

I also recommend that everyone who is not yet familiar with the issue
google Lu Heng and Cloud Innovations, the Hong Kong based corporate entity
in question which caused this.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=lu+heng+cloud+innovation

The short version of this is that a HK based corporate entity claims it is
the legitimate "owner" of 7 million AFRINIC IPs.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
XX  was running for a Board Seat at APNIC and may have been in
attendance in the recent APNIC conference.
Very controversial stuff there, with lessons to be learned and
remembered and situations to be avoided at all costs.

Corruption and $$$$$$$.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
> On Sep 15, 2023, at 15:05, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A much better explanation of the situation can be found at:
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/03/nrs_afrinic_review/
>
> I also recommend that everyone who is not yet familiar with the issue google Lu Heng and Cloud Innovations, the Hong Kong based corporate entity in question which caused this.

Fair suggestion, but I wouldn’t say it’s fair to say Lu Heng or CI caused this. I’d say that AFRINIC’s
leadership at the time had an at least equal role in creating the problems and in failing to address
Them in a timely manner.

CI didn’t sue AFRINIC for nothing. AFRINIC, in violation of the actual text of their bylaws attempted
to revoke CI space and created major disruptions to a number of networks in the process. Had CI
not received the injunctions they got from the courts, likely the disruption would have been much
worse and caused some pretty wide-spread outages.

> https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=lu+heng+cloud+innovation
>
> The short version of this is that a HK based corporate entity claims it is the legitimate "owner" of 7 million AFRINIC IPs.

AFRINIC legitimately issued those (closer to 6M) IP addresses to Cloud Innovation based on justifications submitted. AFRINIC then attempted, using claims that usage out of region is not permitted by the bylaws
(It is not prohibited by the bylaws, feel free to read them yourself), to reclaim those addresses.

AFRINIC whois and the courts have confirmed that Cloud Innovation is the rightful registrant of those
addresses at the time and as of now. Until a court rules otherwise (which is very unlikely at this point),
they don’t “own” the addresses, but they do “own” the rights to those registrations in the AFRINIC
database.

(Nobody “owns” any integers… Everyone remains equally free to use the number 5 as much as they want.)

Owen

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
> CI didn’t sue AFRINIC for nothing. AFRINIC, in violation of the actual text of their bylaws attempted
> to revoke CI space and created major disruptions to a number of networks in the process. Had CI
> not received the injunctions they got from the courts, likely the disruption would have been much
> worse and caused some pretty wide-spread outages.

If a car is stolen and then used to provide ride sharing services,
when the repo man comes along, it will cause disruption to those ride
sharing services.

Rubens
Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
> AFRINIC legitimately issued those (closer to 6M) IP addresses to Cloud
Innovation based on justifications submitted. AFRINIC then attempted, using
claims that usage out of region is not permitted by the bylaws
(It is not prohibited by the bylaws, feel free to read them yourself), to
reclaim those addresses.

This is not what happened. AFRINIC issued those IP addresses to Cloud
Innovations based on fundamental misrepresentations by the applicant and
internal fraudulent activity conducted by a single employee within AFRINIC.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/international/1813989-the-strange-case-of-africas-stolen-ip-addresses

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Ernest+Byaruhanga+afrinic

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
Noe… You are conflating two completely different cases, sir.

CI submitted legitimate applications and their addresses were issued prior to Ernest’s activities.

You’re mixing Lu Heng up with Elad Cohen.

Owen

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
I'm not quite sure that we agree on the meaning of "legitimate application"
when a HK based corporate entity is using and claiming permanent rights to
AFRINIC IP space, primarily for ISP operations in east asia.

There have been multiple well documented instances of AFRINIC insiders with
privileged access shoveling IP space out the back door by less than
legitimate means. For a number of different suspicious recipients.

Undoubtedly this is part of what contributed to its board members and
management fleeing the organization in the face of litigation and
investigations.

The fact that these organizations that received IP space by less than
honest means are now suing AFRINIC into financial oblivion honestly does
not help the situation.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
AFRINIC has the right to reclaim those resources should it prove that usage
of such is not in any way beneficial to the continent in which it's
mandated to operate and support.
We will not defend CI or Lu Heng for persisting in this, we the members
felt it's a blackmail and the action taken by AFRNIC was in good faith.
Anyone supporting such actions as those taken by CI and its sympathizers is
against democracy and fair utilization/usage of global number resources and
by extension; I dare say, not a Mandolorian. This is the way!

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
NO Owen, we can't have a single rogue member bring a whole entity that is
mandated with an important task for the continent to a stand still just
because they can twist the law and quote bylaws or manipulate processes.

This is WRONG and shall remain to be so no matter how repeated and
"fancily" satinize it with a good read of the mandalorians ways of life.

LET AFRINIC BE, and not undermine it's operations or the intelligence of
the other members who need it's services.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
My point exactly!

And it's so shameful that we have people trying to defend them by throwing
laws,bylaws, management blah blah..spoof coof attacks on AFRINIC processes.

We are not happy with the current situation and the member should be
awareness and we also noticed how rogue that member is during the election
period.

Re: AFRINIC placed in receivership [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 16, 2023 at 6:24?AM Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/international/1813989-the-strange-case-of-africas-stolen-ip-addresses

"When African ISPs allocate IP addresses to all those new electronic
devices, they will not be using the legacy IPv4 addresses AFRINIC is
currently risking its existence over. Instead, they will be allocating
<https://theconversation.com/heres-why-the-internet-will-always-have-enough-space-for-all-our-devices-122559>
the
IPv6 addresses that represent the future of the Internet, both inside and
outside Africa."

*whew*

OK, that was a good laugh.
I needed some humour to start my day off. ;P

Sorry--any article that ignores the non-starting aspect of IPv6-only
connectivity isn't worth the electrons it's (not) printed on. :/

The sad fact of the Internet today is that without at least *some* IPv4
addresses, you're not on the Internet.
Sure, you can do 464XLAT and other things like that to *minimize* the
amount of IPv4 addresses you need, but you can't run a pure IPv6-only
network today for consumer use; there's too much of the Internet you just
can't access without at least some IPv4 presence. And as such, that means
that every ISP, every company that wants to be multihomed to more than one
upstream provider requires allocations of *both* IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in
order to be functional.

I think it's an ugly situation all around, but from my reading of the
Consolidated Resource Policy Manual,
what Cloud Innovations did is clearly against the intent stated in the
AFRINIC policy manual:
"5.4.6.2 AFRINIC resources are for AFRINIC service region and any use
outside the region should be solely in support of connectivity back to the
AFRINIC region."

That clause has been in the AFRINIC Consolidated Policy Resource Manual
since version 0.1, published nearly a decade ago in 2014.
https://afrinic.net/cpm-0-1

Now, if I had been involved in crafting the policy document, I would have
strongly recommended that the particular clause be included in section 5.2,
rather than 5.4, as it really should have been broadly applicable no matter
what phase of exhaustion the IPv4 pool happened to be in at the time. By
tucking it in under 5.4, in the "Soft Landing" portion of the document, it
wrapped the regional requirement under a relatively restrictive scope:
"This IPv4 Soft Landing policy applies to the management of address space
that will be available to AFRINIC after the current IPv4 pool is depleted.
The purpose of this document is to ensure that address space is assigned
and/or allocated in a manner that is acceptable to the AFRINIC community
especially during this time of IPv4 exhaustion."

Had policy 5.4.6.2 instead been policy 5.2.1.5, this would be a moot
discussion, and Cloud Innovations would clearly be in the wrong, and
AFRINIC would be clearly justified in clawing the number resources back.

However, because the regional use restriction was tucked under the rubric
of the "applies to the management of address space that will be available
to AFRINIC *after* the current IPv4 pool is depleted" stipulation (emphasis
mine), it leaves the argument open that until AFRINIC completely exhausted
its available IPv4 pool, no such regional restriction should apply.

I do not envy either party in this fight.

But if nothing else, it can provide guidance on why number policy matters,
and why it is useful to have contrarians that look at every clause and
wonder "could this be abused in a way we hadn't considered?" ^_^;

Matt