Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire [ In reply to ]
On 8/17/23 11:26 AM, scott via NANOG wrote:

> I don't want to overwhelm the list, but since there's interest here's
> something interesting I just now got from the electric company.  400
> poles and 300 transformers.  Wow!

Those of us from California and the west have watched this in abject
horror and I myself was completely clueless this was possible.

Mike, who lives 10 miles from where the Caldor fire started that burned
all the way to Tahoe and grew up going to Paradise to visit my grandparents
Re: Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire [ In reply to ]
On 8/17/23 6:28 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

> On 8/17/23 11:26 AM, scott via NANOG wrote:
>>

>> I don't want to overwhelm the list, but since there's interest here's
>> something interesting I just now got from the electric company.  400
>> poles and 300 transformers.  Wow!
>
> Those of us from California and the west have watched this in abject
> horror and I myself was completely clueless this was possible.
>
> Mike, who lives 10 miles from where the Caldor fire started that burned
> all the way to Tahoe and grew up going to Paradise to visit my grandparents

Me too. I have friends and family over there. Even though I am not
(and they were not) affected it has had a big impact on my emotions.

Also, fto answer an an earlier email - I found the Paniolo cable we
connected to for the Lahaina MPLS node was a land run that was
underground, so it didn't get burned.

scott
Re: Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire [ In reply to ]
It’s SUPER common for all of the carriers on a cell site to share the same common backhaul path. And I can tell you from personal hands-on experience the majority (90+%) of cell sites in the US have simplex connectivity.