Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5  View All
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 17, 2021, at 19:40 , Jerry Cloe <jerry@jtcloe.net> wrote:
>

> Subject: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public
> To: nanog <nanog@nanog.org <mailto:nanog@nanog.org>>;
> This seems like a really bad idea to me; am I really the only one who noticed?
>
> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-127-00.html <https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-127-00.html>
>
> I can think of about a dozen /8's that would be better to use. (Hint, they all have DOD in the name.) They haven't been in routing tables for decades and there wouldn't be hardly any technical issues (like there would be with 127/8). The only drawback is I've seen a lot of organizations treat them like rfc1918 space.

You are assuming facts not in evidence.

The fact that a prefix isn’t in a routing table you can see does not mean it is not used in a circumstance where
having it appear in routing tables you can see would be harmful or disruptive.

Owen
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 17, 2021, at 21:33 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon@jmaimon.com> wrote:
>

> Mark Andrews wrote:

>>> There are so many things wrong with this statement that I am not even going to try to enumerate them.
>>>
>>> However suffice it to say that drafts like these are concrete documentation of non-groupthink and essentially you are advocating for self-censorship and loss of historical perspective.
>> I’m advocating for not taking address away that have been allocated for a purpose. No one knows what the impact of doing that will be. Perhaps we should just take back 216.222.144.0/20? You obviously think taking back address that are in use to be a good thing. This is similar to taking back other address that are allocated but not advertised.
>
> I am advocating for serious discussion on the merits, and only the merits, of each individual idea and proposal and to respect those willing to put in the effort even while likely knowing of the undeserved scorn bound to come their way from those who choose not do as I would advocate them doing.
>
> And I think the basic contention is that the vast majority of 127/8 is not in use. Apples to oranges, indeed.

This contention is provably false for some definitions of “in use”.

>> You can script is to the same extent that you can hard code 127/8 addresses. I’ve used ULA addresses but conceptually they are the same. The lo0 interface also has more that 127.0.0.1 IPv4 addresses on it.
>>
>> % ifconfig lo0 inet6
>> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>> options=1203<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TXSTATUS,SW_TIMESTAMP>
>> inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 .
>> inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
>> inet6 fd92:7065:b8e:ffff::1 prefixlen 64
>>
> Thats twice now you have suggested that ULA and LLA are an exact substitute for dedicated system loopback prefix.

In what way would the LLA or ULA above be meaningfully different from 127/8 as deployed?

> At the very least, it is semantically not.

How so?

> Doesnt IPv6 deserve its own instead of squatting on IPv4?

I don’t see any “squatting on IPv4” here.

Since, as you point out, use of the other addresses in 127.0.0.0/8 is not particularly widespread, having a prefix
dedicated to that purpose globally vs. allowing each site that cares to choose their own doesn’t seem like the best
tradeoff.

Owen
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
Can you be more specific about what changes to IPv6 you believe would resolve the issue?

Owen

Re: WKBI #586, Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
I don’t see the difference between 6 and 7 usable addresses on all the /29s
in the world as actually making a significant impact on the usable lifespan of
IPv4.

Owen

Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:00 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
> Since, as you point out, use of the other addresses in 127.0.0.0/8 is not particularly widespread, having a prefix
> dedicated to that purpose globally vs. allowing each site that cares to choose their own doesn’t seem like the best
> tradeoff.

I would prefer to discuss the other drafts. However, - and this is not
in the 127 draft, and is an opinion not shared with the other authors
-
I have a specific use case for making 127 "more routable", in that
there is nowadays a twisty maze of microservices, bottled up in a
variety of
kubernetes containers, running on top of vms, on top of a hypervisor,
that are often hooked together via rfc1918 addressing and NAT.

Trying to figure out that particular path, from within one of those
containers, can be a PITA. The concept of 127 being local to a
physical host
(and routed internally, rather than natted), where those twisty maze
of services ideally remains within that host, holds some appeal to me.

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Nov 17, 2021, at 21:33 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon@jmaimon.com> wrote:
>>

>> And I think the basic contention is that the vast majority of 127/8 is not in use. Apples to oranges, indeed.
> This contention is provably false for some definitions of “in use”.

Determining the extent of this would be part of serious consideration.

> In what way would the LLA or ULA above be meaningfully different from 127/8 as deployed?

Because 127/8 is the exact same number on every system and it is routed
the same way on every system and every system can choose to use it how
it and it alone wishes to.

So this make it a deterministic prefix solely in control of the local
system without any external context to ever be taken into consideration,
by convention and standard.

LLA and ULA and whatever random prefix you may wish to use for loopback,
whether in IPv6 or even IPv4 have none of these qualities.

>> Doesnt IPv6 deserve its own instead of squatting on IPv4?
> I don’t see any “squatting on IPv4” here.

It means that the only deterministic loopback prefix in IPv6 larger than
a single address is the one IPv6 inherited from IPv4.

> Since, as you point out, use of the other addresses in 127.0.0.0/8 is not particularly widespread,

This is not my point, it is the contention of the draft standard and it
is something I would hope is taken into serious consideration and
researched properly/

My point is that to the extent this is true, the value of the space for
other purposes could very well warrant re-purposing.
> having a prefix
> dedicated to that purpose globally vs. allowing each site that cares to choose their own doesn’t seem like the best
> tradeoff.
>
> Owen

But this is how it is to be done in IPv6, so lets get some lack-of-feature parity going with IPv4.

Joe
Re: WKBI #586, Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:
> I don’t see the difference between 6 and 7 usable addresses on all the /29s
> in the world as actually making a significant impact on the usable lifespan of
> IPv4.
>
> Owen

This idea gets better each time I think about it. The changes and
support required would typically be only local to customer/vendor and it
can be useful in multiple contexts within a single entity as well.

Or how about this one. I can add VRRP failover to every customer prefix
with zero negative impact to them by addressing the secondary with the
all-zero address. Only I have to upgrade since the customer doesnt use
or refer to that address ever. Now granted, using a FHRP protocol that
didnt require any address at all in the subnet for the non-primary would
give the same result. And maybe maybe maybe ICMP from the secondary
might get dropped by non-updated customer.

How about customers who like to have redundant routers now only require
an update to do it within /30, which within vendor relationship context,
should it be standard long enough, they may very well require, and
should a /29 cost more, the customer may very well prefer.

Getting an extra address out of a /29 and two instead of one out of /30
can be quite useful to each individual user and use of those prefixes.

Collectively, it may or may not extend IPv4 global resources. Probably
not in any measurable way and possibly non existent, although it is
conceivable that /30 would become usable enough that less /29's will be
assigned, and the same for /29 lasting longer before requiring /28.
Probably not much beyond that.

Its about getting more mileage from existing allocations, not really
about making more allocations available.

And all thats needed to be done is to drop this ridiculous .0 for
broadcast compatibility from standards.....why is this even controversial?

Joe
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]

> You are proposing a deal involving paper money you have on your person
> to your fellow passengers on the Titanic; that is the essence of your
> proposed bet hedging. Having studied the market for IPv4, it is a no-
> brainer to realise the driving force behind all these schemes. Delaying
> the inevitable is just going to make some people richer, to the detriment
> of others. I see no reason to support that.

That’s because you and I are probably on the wrong side of the benefit/detriment
divide.

No doubt those pushing the proposal(s) think they have a way to be on the
benefit side of said divide.

Owen
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 19, 2021, at 07:23 , Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:00 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
>> Since, as you point out, use of the other addresses in 127.0.0.0/8 is not particularly widespread, having a prefix
>> dedicated to that purpose globally vs. allowing each site that cares to choose their own doesn’t seem like the best
>> tradeoff.
>
> I would prefer to discuss the other drafts. However, - and this is not
> in the 127 draft, and is an opinion not shared with the other authors
> -
> I have a specific use case for making 127 "more routable", in that
> there is nowadays a twisty maze of microservices, bottled up in a
> variety of
> kubernetes containers, running on top of vms, on top of a hypervisor,
> that are often hooked together via rfc1918 addressing and NAT.
>
> Trying to figure out that particular path, from within one of those
> containers, can be a PITA. The concept of 127 being local to a
> physical host
> (and routed internally, rather than natted), where those twisty maze
> of services ideally remains within that host, holds some appeal to me.

Couldn’t you do this with 169.254.0.0/16 (or IPv6 GUA or ULA)
just as easily without the need to rewrite virtually every layer of the
stack of miscellaneous software defined networking stuff you just listed?

Owen
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 19, 2021, at 07:39 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon@jmaimon.com> wrote:
>

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 17, 2021, at 21:33 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon@jmaimon.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> And I think the basic contention is that the vast majority of 127/8 is not in use. Apples to oranges, indeed.
>> This contention is provably false for some definitions of “in use”.
>
> Determining the extent of this would be part of serious consideration.
>>
>> In what way would the LLA or ULA above be meaningfully different from 127/8 as deployed?
>
> Because 127/8 is the exact same number on every system and it is routed the same way on every system and every system can choose to use it how it and it alone wishes to.

But the proposal seeks to change that nature of 127.0.0.0/8 to make it more like LLA/ULA, so…

> So this make it a deterministic prefix solely in control of the local system without any external context to ever be taken into consideration, by convention and standard.

At the moment, that’s already true. AIUI, the proposal being discussed seeks to convert 127.0.0.0/8 outside of 127.0.0.1 (or at least outside of 127.0.0.0/16) into
routable GUA.

> LLA and ULA and whatever random prefix you may wish to use for loopback, whether in IPv6 or even IPv4 have none of these qualities.

And if we implement the proposal at hand, which as near as I can tell you are supporting, that changes.

>>> Doesnt IPv6 deserve its own instead of squatting on IPv4?
>> I don’t see any “squatting on IPv4” here.
>
> It means that the only deterministic loopback prefix in IPv6 larger than a single address is the one IPv6 inherited from IPv4.

Well… Worst case, it could use ::ffff:7f00:0000::/96

Whether you consider that “squatting on IPv4” or not is left as an exercise to the reader. I do not, though I can understand and
must admit that it is equally legitimate if someone else does.

>> Since, as you point out, use of the other addresses in 127.0.0.0/8 is not particularly widespread,
>
> This is not my point, it is the contention of the draft standard and it is something I would hope is taken into serious consideration and researched properly/
>
> My point is that to the extent this is true, the value of the space for other purposes could very well warrant re-purposing.

Having trouble following your desired outcome here. It seems as if you both want 127.0.0.0/8 to retain it’s unique properties
as deterministically loopback only and also want the benefits of repurposing it as GUA.

Have cake, Eat cake, please to pick only one.

>> having a prefix
>> dedicated to that purpose globally vs. allowing each site that cares to choose their own doesn’t seem like the best
>> tradeoff.
>>
>> Owen
>>
> But this is how it is to be done in IPv6, so lets get some lack-of-feature parity going with IPv4.

I’m all for IPv6 having better implementations than IPv4 rather than mere feature parity.

IMHO, having additional loopbacks be assigned from either LLA or ULA space (or even GUA, really)
where that is needed is a superior choice vs. 127.0.0.0/8.

For one thing, the alternative addressing schemes (other than LLA) allow for routing of the
addresses off the box even though they are configured on loopback interfaces. There are
a number of situations where this can be a useful way to ensure that the addresses remain
usable regardless of the up/down state of connectivity on any particular non-loopback
interface on the box.

It’s one of the reasons, for example, that virtually every IBGP speaking router has a GUA
or ULA/1918 loopback address which is routed in the IGP and almost all IBGP sessions
are terminated on those loopback interfaces.

Owen
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 8:35 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
> I’m all for IPv6 having better implementations than IPv4 rather than mere feature parity.

Me too, just not in a dystopian Harrison Bergeron sort of way.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public [ In reply to ]
So see, that was kinda my view, though I hadn't realized there was a kernel
hack advancing the football...