Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13 [ In reply to ]
On 4/14/21 18:07, Niels Bakker wrote:

> The relevant virtue that's signaled with green energy is that its MWh
> prices are WAY lower than traditional fossil fuel-based generators.

Particularly when you factor in close to no maintenance costs for things
like PV, and a nominal 1% drop in efficiency per year on 20-year-old
design plans.

Mark.
Re: Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13 [ In reply to ]
On 4/14/21 18:31, Brian Johnson wrote:

> Not going to get into this, but this is simply not true on multiple
> fronts.

On a large scale, I agree that numbers can look odd. But on a smaller,
community scale, it does look good.

Mark.
Re: Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13 [ In reply to ]
It appears that Stan Barber <sob@academ.com> said:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>I would suggest that the regulation paradigm in Texas does not allow
>coordinated maintenance scheduling to adapt to supply and load issues
>(especially in the face of a disaster like the Winter event earlier this
>year). That would mean a stronger regulatory framework and that smacks of
>government interference in the eyes of some.

Exactly. It's all about risk shifting. Ercot is run by free market
fundamentalists who believe, in spite of considerable evidence to the
contrary, that the market alone will always provide all the power
people need. This has the effect of shifting the risk of failure onto
users who often don't realize that until it's too late. They've known
since 2011 that much of the Texas grid fails when it's below freezing
but they don't have any inclination, or even the authority, to tell
power generators to spend money on weatherproofing and other risk
management.

They allow the wholesale price of power which is usually about 4c/kwh
to spike as high as $9, in the absurd belief that super high prices
will magically cause power to appear. This had the effect of dumping
giant power bills on users who couldn't pay them, and the costs and
defaults are now making lawyers rich.

Meanwhile, the politicans are involved in an extensive effort to pin
the blame on anyone but themselves, which is where the nonsense about
green power comes from. Texas' windmills aren't weatherproofed any
better than rest of the system but nontheless were providing slightly
more power than Ercot expected while the grid collapsed.

So, yeah, if you're in Texas, better make your own arrangments because
the state is paralyzed.

John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Re: Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13 [ In reply to ]
---

one would not
be entirely off-base if they approached the problem from a "How do we
stay up, regardless of the grid's condition" vs. "How do we go green",
---

Not those whose jobs are to ensure the operation of the facility, but others in management\corporate making this big picture decisions are more concerned with the optics than they are of the uptime.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange