Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
RE: 60 ms cross-continent [ In reply to ]
> William Herrin
>
> Howdy,
>
> Why is latency between the east and west coasts so bad? Speed of light
> accounts for about 15ms each direction for a 30ms round trip. Where does
> the other 30ms come from and why haven't we gotten rid of it?

Wallstreet did :)
https://www.wired.com/2012/08/ff_wallstreet_trading/

adam
Re: 60 ms cross-continent [ In reply to ]
On 6/22/20 12:59 AM, adamv0025@netconsultings.com wrote:
>> William Herrin
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Why is latency between the east and west coasts so bad? Speed of light
>> accounts for about 15ms each direction for a 30ms round trip. Where does
>> the other 30ms come from and why haven't we gotten rid of it?
>>
> Wallstreet did :)
> https://www.wired.com/2012/08/ff_wallstreet_trading/

“Of course, you’d need a particle accelerator to make it work.”

So THAT'S why CERN wants to build an even bigger accelerator than the LHC!
Re: 60 ms cross-continent [ In reply to ]
Have you accounted for glass as opposed to vacuum? And the fact that fiber optic networks can't be straight lines if their purpose is to aggregate traffic along the way and they also need to follow some less-than-straight right of way.

Regards,

Roderick.

Re: 60 ms cross-continent [ In reply to ]
Microwave is used for long haul wireless transmission for the ultra-latency crowd. Free space laser has more bandwidth, but is sensitive to fog and at least until the last few years much less range. I sell ULL routes to financial players. A 10 meg microwave circuit CME/Secaucus Equinix ranges from $185K per month to $20K a month.