Mailing List Archive

Alternic takes over Internic traffic
Re: Alternic takes over Internic traffic [ In reply to ]
[shock - operational ingredient to DNS issue on NANOG]

I feel that a convenient way to filter out crud that polutes
your DNS (or any other crud for that matter) might be:
a) Configure a normally non-BGP speaking router in your IGP to
run BGP under AS (say) 7778.
b) Static the routes to all alternic's primary name servers to null0:
(or better to a non-existent IP on an ethernet interface)
c) redistribute these statics into BGP through a routemap if necessary.
d) Set up peering with a router running BGP tagging the routes as
no-export (make sure you don't distribute them to peers or customers).

(credit to Paul Vixie for the "how to blackhole traffic" for spam
reasons which I've borrowed here - *PAUL DID NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS
FOR DNS TRAFFIC - THIS IS ENTIRELY MY IDEA*).

We're just about to do this. I'll tell you how it goes.

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks
Re: Alternic takes over Internic traffic [ In reply to ]
> (credit to Paul Vixie for the "how to blackhole traffic" for spam
> reasons which I've borrowed here - *PAUL DID NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS
> FOR DNS TRAFFIC - THIS IS ENTIRELY MY IDEA*).

All true, except that Andrew Partan and Brett Watson worked out the black
hole technology that I've been handing to Cisco owners. All Cisco wizardry
which occurs in my presence is the result of other people's brains not mine.
I'm a GateD diehard, Cisco's command language makes me queasy and uneasy.

> We're just about to do this. I'll tell you how it goes.

It won't help. DNS pirates don't need connectivity to your hosts to infect
your caches, they need connectivity to _other_ people's hosts.
Re: Alternic takes over Internic traffic [ In reply to ]
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,12382,00.html

fyi: