it is difficult due to the lack of a pre-compiled, modern version of Qt.

So I figured I would upgrade to CentOS 9. This isn't possible, however,
because they are requiring a "v2" CPU and the kernel no longer loads.
Apparently, all of the RedHat derivatives (Alma, Rocky) are now in this
boat.

I tried searching for confirmation that modern Ubuntu will run on this
CPU, but couldn't find any. It sounds like Debian should work. OpenSUSE
and Gentoo are confirmed to work with it. Any other distros I'm forgetting?

Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On 29/02/2024 14:06, Dan Wilga wrote:
> I have several Intel Atom (1) boxes, which are classified as x86-64-v1 devices. I had been using
> CentOS 7 on them but compiling Myth 0.34 for it is difficult due to the lack of a pre-compiled,
> modern version of Qt.
>
> So I figured I would upgrade to CentOS 9. This isn't possible, however, because they are requiring a
> "v2" CPU and the kernel no longer loads. Apparently, all of the RedHat derivatives (Alma, Rocky) are
> now in this boat.
>
> I tried searching for confirmation that modern Ubuntu will run on this CPU, but couldn't find any.
> It sounds like Debian should work. OpenSUSE and Gentoo are confirmed to work with it. Any other
> distros I'm forgetting?

I have a number of these and I can confirm Debian, up to at least Bookworm, does run on these
without issue. (Of course, YMMV, etc.) I must admit being surprised when I originally tried to put
x86-64 on one years ago and it worked!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 2:08?PM Dan Wilga <mythtv-users@dwilga.info> wrote:

> I tried searching for confirmation that modern Ubuntu will run on this
> CPU, but couldn't find any. It sounds like Debian should work. OpenSUSE
> and Gentoo are confirmed to work with it. Any other distros I'm forgetting?

Should you wish to remain in the EL environment,
CentOS 8 would work, but it will end updates at
about the same time as CentOS 7, so I would
not recommend it. However you can get a free
developer license for RHEL 8 and use that
(support until mid-2029), or both Rocky 8 and
AlmaLinux 8 (CentOS 8 derivatives) have stated
their intention to continue to port fixes until the
official RHEL 8 end of support.

However, EL8 variants are also showing their
age as far as supporting newer versions of
supporting packages, but I expect it to work
adequately for MythTV for at least a few more
years until the project needs something
substantially newer in some future version.
(The MythTV project has a buildbot-worker
running builds on CentOS 8, so it is known
to work today, and when something breaks
due to some newer package requirement
it will be seen).
Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On 2/29/24 8:06 AM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> I have several Intel Atom (1) boxes, which are classified as x86-64-v1 devices. I had been using CentOS 7 on them but compiling Myth 0.34 for it is difficult due to the lack of a pre-compiled, modern version of Qt.
>
> So I figured I would upgrade to CentOS 9. This isn't possible, however, because they are requiring a "v2" CPU and the kernel no longer loads. Apparently, all of the RedHat derivatives (Alma, Rocky) are now in this boat.
>
> I tried searching for confirmation that modern Ubuntu will run on this CPU, but couldn't find any. It sounds like Debian should work. OpenSUSE and Gentoo are confirmed to work with it. Any other distros I'm forgetting?

Mint (Ubuntu based) is nice. Would have to go look again on the v1 vs v2 issue though.

BTW, I have the same issue on some old Atom systems running Rocky 8.something as well.

I'm not terribly thrilled either.

 -Ben

Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]

> BTW, I have the same issue on some old Atom systems running Rocky 8.something as well.
>
> I'm not terribly thrilled either.
>
> -Ben

So is this problem with Atom 64 bit CPUs a linux kernel based thing, or just a RedHat/Flavors issue?

I use some of these Z8350 based 4 core machines, and would be disappointed if it was a linux kernel issue.

Regards
Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 2:08?PM Dan Wilga <mythtv-users@dwilga.info> wrote:

> Any other distros I'm forgetting?

Do you really require an LTS distro?
Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 8:14?PM Ben <bkamen@benjammin.net> wrote:

> BTW, I have the same issue on some old Atom systems running Rocky 8.something as well.
>
> I'm not terribly thrilled either.

RH (and a number of other enterprise distros) build
for their large paying customers, and their customers
prefered the performance advantages over supporting
hardware that no longer was in their use (for
enterprises, the operational savings in power alone
justified moving to newer hardware a long time
ago).
Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 8:24?PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote:

> So is this problem with Atom 64 bit CPUs a linux kernel based thing, or just a RedHat/Flavors issue?
>
> I use some of these Z8350 based 4 core machines, and would be disappointed if it was a linux kernel issue.

You are free to build your own kernel with your
own build flags. All the commercial enterprise
distros either have, or are looking at, building
their kernels with micro architecture flags of
-v2 or -v3 for performance reasons, which
appeal to their customers (RH requires -v2 for
EL9, and is reportedly looking at -v3 for EL10;
Ubuntu is reportedly looking at -v3 for their
enterprise distro; Suse is reportedly looking
at -v3 with their next gen ALP). Consumer
targeted distros tend to still target -v1 for
maximum flexibility, although every year or
so someone again suggests it is time to
move up a microarchitecture level because
they want to improved performance for
their particular system.
Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
> On Feb 29, 2024, at 3:40?PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 8:24?PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So is this problem with Atom 64 bit CPUs a linux kernel based thing, or just a RedHat/Flavors issue?
>>
>> I use some of these Z8350 based 4 core machines, and would be disappointed if it was a linux kernel issue.
>
> You are free to build your own kernel with your
> own build flags. All the commercial enterprise
> distros either have, or are looking at, building
> their kernels with micro architecture flags of
> -v2 or -v3 for performance reasons, which
> appeal to their customers (RH requires -v2 for
> EL9, and is reportedly looking at -v3 for EL10;
> Ubuntu is reportedly looking at -v3 for their
> enterprise distro; Suse is reportedly looking
> at -v3 with their next gen ALP). Consumer
> targeted distros tend to still target -v1 for
> maximum flexibility, although every year or
> so someone again suggests it is time to
> move up a microarchitecture level because
> they want to improved performance for
> their particular system.

Gotcha.. I did a little wikipedia investigation, and looks like the Z8350 Cherry Trail Silvermont architecture are classified as v2 processors.

The N95, N100 Celeron processors are alder lake v3 processors

Anyway, not an issue for me what I have.

Regards!

Re: Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs [ In reply to ]
On 2/29/24 3:25 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 2:08?PM Dan Wilga <mythtv-users@dwilga.info> wrote:
>
>> Any other distros I'm forgetting?
> Do you really require an LTS distro?
It's not so much a question of LTS or not, it's more a question of
whether it will likely continue to run on the architecture and support
the very reasonable library requirements of Myth as it evolves. I don't
want to have to recompile hundreds of packages to get something that
works--one or two is fine though.