Mailing List Archive

Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV
Hi All

To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
fire tv stick.

I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.

Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
generally available.

This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.

20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
may be important that the google TV device be powered on.

If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
TV), please assist in this process.

You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.

I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
google.

Peter

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

I use Leanfront on Shield TV. Email is doug.larrick@gmail.com

I assume we need to uninstall the side-loaded version first?

Thanks!

-Doug

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 11:55?AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
> fire tv stick.
>
> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>
> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
> tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
> generally available.
>
> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>
> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
> for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
> special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
> may be important that the google TV device be powered on.
>
> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
> Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
> TV), please assist in this process.
>
> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
> the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
> people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.
>
> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
> google.
>
> Peter

I have a Sony TV with Google TV. jfabernathy@gmail.com

Jim A
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 9, 2024, 12:19?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 11:55?AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
>> fire tv stick.
>>
>> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>>
>> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
>> tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
>> generally available.
>>
>> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>>
>> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
>> for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
>> special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
>> may be important that the google TV device be powered on.
>>
>> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
>> Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
>> TV), please assist in this process.
>>
>> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
>> the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
>> people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.
>>
>> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
>> google.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I have a Sony TV with Google TV. jfabernathy@gmail.com
>
> Jim A

2015 Nvidia shield
iitywygms@gmail.com

Kevin

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 09/01/2024 16:53, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi All
>
> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
> fire tv stick.
>
> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>
> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
> tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
> generally available.
>
> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>
> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
> for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
> special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
> may be important that the google TV device be powered on.
>
> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
> Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
> TV), please assist in this process.
>
> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
> the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
> people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.
>
> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
> google.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

Sony TV Model BRAVIA TL CTN KD-32W800

Software version: Up to date at braviatl.16140 of Mon Sep 18 22023

Android patch level: 5 Sep 2023

Leanback version from Orangedox: v0-466-g439ca16

Mythbackend: Fedora 38, today's Master

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/30a908b5871f4840e09a3286102fc9c10e63b4bf

Sign in: johnpilk222@gmail.com

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

Yes, I can do that for you.
I've an Nvidia Shield and my email address is klaas.de.waal@gmail.com

Groetjes
Klaas.

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
I have the google chromecast (4k) and shield on different TVs. Please sign
me up.

-- George

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter, I can do it on a Google TV with Chromecast device.

philledwards@gmail.com

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
I would be happy for ylee@pobox.com to go on the list as a beta tester, although I am still on MythTV 30 so probably won't be able to actually use the Play Store version (I am using the last Leanfront that supports 30).
--
Frontend: Apple MacBook Pro 2021, Nvidia Shield 2017
Backend: HP MicroServer Gen 8 2.5GHz w/ 18TB UnRAID
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:53:20 -0500, Peter Bennett
<pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
> fire tv stick.
>
> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>
> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
> tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
> generally available.
>
> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>
> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
> for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
> special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
> may be important that the google TV device be powered on.
>
> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
> Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
> TV), please assist in this process.
>
> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
> the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
> people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.
>
> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
> google.
>
> Peter

Happy to help you help us!

justin@smithpolglase.com

Cheers,
Justin.
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/24 07:15, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> I would be happy for ylee@pobox.com to go on the list as a beta tester, although I am still on MythTV 30 so probably won't be able to actually use the Play Store version (I am using the last Leanfront that supports 30).

All versions of leanfront supports MythTV back to V29, there is no loss
of support for older versions of MythTV. If the latest version does not
work there must be a bug.

Are you sure you are on leanfront, not mythfrontend for android?

The google login is normally an email @gmail.com. Are you sure
ylee@pobox.com is the android login?

Peter

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/24 07:36, Justin Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:53:20 -0500, Peter Bennett
> <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
>> fire tv stick.
>>
>> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>>
>> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
>> tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made
>> generally available.
>>
>> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>>
>> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
>> for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
>> special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it
>> may be important that the google TV device be powered on.
>>
>> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
>> Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android
>> TV), please assist in this process.
>>
>> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
>> the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only
>> people on the list can install leanfront from the play store.
>>
>> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
>> google.
>>
>> Peter
> Happy to help you help us!
>
> justin@smithpolglase.com
>
> Cheers,
> Justin.

Normally android logins are @gmail.com. Are you sure
justin@smithpolglase.com is the android login?

Peter

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 09 January 2024 10:53:20 AM (-06:00), Peter Bennett wrote:

> Hi All
>
> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
fire tv stick.

> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>
> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made generally
available.

> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>
> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it may
be important that the google TV device be powered on.

> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android TV),
please assist in this process.

> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only people
on the list can install leanfront from the play store.

> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
google.

> Peter

keemllib@gmail.com

I'd like to try it too (another Sony Bravia). Thanks,

--
Bill
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
I can test on a 2017 Nvidia Shield. hampton42@gmail.com

David

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
I'm interested. I have a new SGN T10 inch tablet, and a Moto G Stylus
2022. Both are running Android 12. If it works reasonably well, I can
enlist my Mom, who has a Moto G 2023, and a recent model Samsung
tablet.

Calvin

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 09 January 2024 10:53:20 AM (-06:00), Peter Bennett wrote:

> Hi All
>
> To all who possess an Android TV device that is not an Amazon fire tv or
fire tv stick.

> I am working on getting leanfront available in the google app store.
>
> Google have a requirement that it be installed from the play store and
tested by 20 users for 14 days continuously before it can be made generally
available.

> This is a new requirement from Google that started last November.
>
> 20 users have to install leanfront on their devices and leave it there
for at least 14 days. It has to be installed from the play store using a
special URL. How much you use the application is not important, but it may
be important that the google TV device be powered on.

> If you have a non-fire android TV or google TV device (e.g. NVidia
Shield, onn streaming box, google chrome cast, Smart TV with android TV),
please assist in this process.

> You need to email me the google logon email address that you use with
the device. I have to add email addresses to a list at google. Only people
on the list can install leanfront from the play store.

> I will send instructions to you once I have the email address added at
google.

> Peter

Just an FYI for those considering jumping in: My cable provider switched to
streaming boxes (HLS) which are Android
based, so I loaded the app on both of mine (model Pyxis-RCN).

Yet another way for 'dumb' TV sets to get smart.
--
Bill
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

The Leanfront works OK here. What I do like very much is that it is capable
of switching the output frequency to match the frame rate of the video.
This is something mythfrontend does with an NVida graphics card but what
mythfrontend does not do with Intel graphics.
I also like that it goes back to the Shield main menu without
prompting "Are you really sure you do want to exit from this very wonderful
app" which most other apps tend to do.

There is of course also room for improvement:
- Going back from playing a recording to the recordings menu, it first
shows the page where you came from and then it repaints (?) itself together
with an animation of the selected program. This is a bit annoying.
- The program guide is hidden in a rather non-intuitive (for me...)
location.
- The program guide shows all channels for all video sources. This is OK if
you have only one video source but not if you have more video sources.
Also, it shows channels of video sources that are not connected to a
capture card and hence can never be used. This was all fixed a long time
ago in mythfrontend. This comment is about the same as what I gave on the
initial version of the program guide for the new web frontend.
- The first entry for the playback menu's is "All", the second one is
Default. The first one shows the recordings but it shows also all live TV
recordings that have been made. This is something I do not want to see. If,
when playing live TV, I want to make a recording of it I do press the "R"
and then it becomes a real recording.

Altogether it is a nice piece of work!

Hope this helps,
Klaas.

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Leanfront is working OK here too. I'm on a mid-gen Nvidia Shield. I still
prefer a really old side-load build of the full MythTVFrontend.

* [Minor] Leanfront is a bit glitchy on starting playing after a skip but
this is pretty minor. MythTVFrontend is smoother in these conditions.
Maybe it builds a larger local buffer before the playback starts.
* RWNDSTICKY and FFWDSTICKY - I much prefer the ability to semi-smooth
FF/RW in increments of x. My brain understands the flow of time much better
than the current small skip / big skip methods. When commercial skip fails
I usually 3x, 5x, 10x,20x... fast forward with additional presses of the FF
key. *I find the intelligent return to playback based on how fast I was
going excellent in MythTVFrontend.* (I really miss how my 2000 Tivo would
do true smooth FF/RW but our ability to do smooth FF/RW is limited by the
underlying decode/display library & modern compression types and is not a
MythTV topic.)
* Remote key binding - Between various apps it is getting more challenging
to find compatible keybindings for FLIRC IR remote widget. It would be
helpful if LeanFront allowed for key binding editing.
* I have not figured out yet how LiveTV interacts with current
schedule listings, but I also haven't put much effort in. I would like the
listing schedule to be the primary LiveTV interface over a simple channel
list. I only use LiveTV a couple of times a year.
* How much did I skip - I appreciate how MythTVFrontend says how much
time was skipped in a commercial skip. Big skips are highly suspect and I
usually undo with a commercial back skip and manually FFWDSTICKY

Thank you for the hard work. While MythTVFrontend is still my preference,
I understand it is much harder to maintain and distribute. Plus its
interface is getting dated.

Thank you thank you!!

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/24 11:32, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> The Leanfront works OK here. What I do like very much is that it is
> capable of switching the output frequency to match the frame rate of
> the video. This is something mythfrontend does with an NVida graphics
> card but what mythfrontend does not do with Intel graphics.
> I also like that it goes back to the Shield main menu without
> prompting "Are you really sure you do want to exit from this very
> wonderful app" which most other apps tend to do.
>
> There is of course also room for improvement:
> - Going back from playing a recording to the recordings menu, it first
> shows the page where you came from and then it repaints (?) itself
> together with an animation of the selected program. This is a bit
> annoying.
I don't know what you mean. After playback it normally goes first to the
detail screen where the episode details are shown, then pressing back
again gets to the list of recordings.
> - The program guide is hidden in a rather non-intuitive (for me...)
> location.
> - The program guide shows all channels for all video sources. This is
> OK if you have only one video source but not if you have more video
> sources. Also, it shows channels of video sources that are not
> connected to a capture card and hence can never be used. This was all
> fixed a long time ago in mythfrontend. This comment is about the same
> as what I gave on the initial version of the program guide for the new
> web frontend.
> - The first entry for the playback menu's is "All", the second one is
> Default. The first one shows the recordings but it shows also all live
> TV recordings that have been made. This is something I do not want to
> see. If, when playing live TV, I want to make a recording of it I do
> press the "R" and then it becomes a real recording.
>
> Altogether it is a nice piece of work!
>
> Hope this helps,
> Klaas.

Hi Klaas

Thank you for your comments and kind words.

The "Live TV" part of leanfront is a simple  implementation that does
not work the same as mythfrontend. It sets up a manual recording of 1
hour and then starts watching the recording. The time of 1 hour can be
changed in settings. After recording it you see a recording titled "Live
TV" rather than the actual program name. This was easier than the
interactions needed for the mythfrontend way of doing it.

If enough people are interested I could make Live TV work more like it
does in mythfrontend.

Excluding Live TV from the All row would be easy.

Did you use the localization, which was done with google translate? Are
the translations reasonable?

As far as the other suggestions, I may be able to make the changes if
you  would like to continue using leanfront. Open an issue in github for
leanfront and I can make the changes if they are feasible.

By the way, one thing that mythfrontend does not have, move up to the
magnifying glass icon, press it, and say the name of a show. It will
give back a list of matching recordings that you can play directly, and
matching shows in the guide that you can schedule directly.

Peter

Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]

> If enough people are interested I could make Live TV work more like it
> does in mythfrontend.

Interested??
I would pay for this feature.
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
Peter Bennett says:
> By the way, one thing that mythfrontend does not have, move up to
> the magnifying glass icon, press it, and say the name of a show. It
> will give back a list of matching recordings that you can play
> directly, and matching shows in the guide that you can schedule
> directly.

The voice search is very nice (especially since it's instant, consistent with the way I have SmartTube set up). I have noticed, however, that searching is not consistent. The first time searches both existing recordings and the program guide, but the next search usually only searches the program guide.
Re: Leanfront testers wanted for Android TV [ In reply to ]
On 1/18/24 14:44, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Peter Bennett says:
>> By the way, one thing that mythfrontend does not have, move up to
>> the magnifying glass icon, press it, and say the name of a show. It
>> will give back a list of matching recordings that you can play
>> directly, and matching shows in the guide that you can schedule
>> directly.
> The voice search is very nice (especially since it's instant, consistent with the way I have SmartTube set up). I have noticed, however, that searching is not consistent. The first time searches both existing recordings and the program guide, but the next search usually only searches the program guide.

I do not see that problem. I did many searches It does take a few
seconds longer to get the program guide results. If there are no program
guide results it says "no program guide results for 'xxx'".

However if the backend is downor the connection is lost, it does as you
say, only show recording and video results. Did the backend go down?
Lots of things stop working if the connection to the backend is lost.

Peter