historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 5:06?PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bit on one as a frontend. I noticed our documentation is probably
> older than the rollout on this model. Has anyone used it? Any changes I
> should know about?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> Steve Greene
> (301) 842-8923
> historicity.co
> An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
> moving images and recorded sound.

I did see on the Mythtv Forum that someone got it working on a P5 with
Ubuntu and RPI OS

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=26997#p26997

Jim A
Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 2:14?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 5:06?PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just bit on one as a frontend. I noticed our documentation is probably
>> older than the rollout on this model. Has anyone used it? Any changes I
>> should know about?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>
>> Steve Greene
>> (301) 842-8923
>> historicity.co
>> An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
>> moving images and recorded sound.
>>

> I did see on the Mythtv Forum that someone got it working on a P5 with
> Ubuntu and RPI OS
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=26997#p26997

Mostly it on the Pi 4/5 MythTV works out of the box after compiling mythtv
from sources, I wrote a bit more here. The Pi 5 is noticeably faster than
the Pi 5.

Don't forget to buy the heatsink, the official heatsink/fan is really good,
there was a review on it compared to other solutions and it came out as the
best. After I got the heatsink, I overclocked it a bit, didn't really have
to, but why not, right?

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?p=26986#p26986
(pasted below)

On the Raspberry Pi 4, eventually things stabilized to the point where it
was usable as one of my primary MythTV frontends which I used daily. The
jump forward and backwards and menu system were a bit laggy, but everything
was usable.

I upgraded to the Raspberry Pi 5, after compiling v33 mythtv from the
source, everything just worked smoothly out of the box with no tuning, no
overclocking, menus responsive, jump forward and backward was quick. But
since I had adequate cooling, I am running the Raspberry Pi 5 overclocked
from 2.4Ghz to -> 2.9Ghz. Unfortunately, 3.0Ghz wasn't stable for me and
kept crashing. Also I am not running 4k since my TV is just HD 1080p.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
I have it up and running. I'm connecting via home wifi. Playback of MPEG2
drops frame and occasionally drops audio. I'm using the V4L2 decoder, and
oddly enough, LiveTV is better than playing back recordings.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
Try using it wired ethernet and see if the frame drop goes away.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
Actually I changed the audio readahead to 500ms. That seems to have worked.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 11:22?AM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I changed the audio readahead to 500ms. That seems to have worked.

Where did you change this at?
Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
Setup -> Video -> Playback -> Advanced -> Audio read ahead.

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
> On Mar 1, 2024, at 20:58, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 5:59?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>> I want to use a Pi5 as a backend.
>> One of the backend’s tasks is to do some logging, using a Qt5 program I wrote. Compile fails with
>> usr/include/c++/12/bits/stl_relops.:62: Parse error at “std"
>>
>> Googling suggest bookworm-thats-wot-dunnit
>
> Sounds like QT Bug 73263:
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-73263
> which is actually a moc bug.
>
> A common fix is to move the
> #include <filesystem>
> to below the
> #include <QApplication>
> or some other <Qsomething>
> include such as <QObject>

I’m not going to be so lucky :-(

jam@sandypit:~/solarLogger.db $ grep include *
grep: build: Is a directory
main.cpp:#include <QCoreApplication>
main.cpp:#include <QSettings>
main.cpp:#include <QSqlDatabase>
main.cpp:#include <QSqlQuery>
main.cpp:#include <QSqlError>
main.cpp:#include <QFile>
main.cpp:#include <signal.h>
main.cpp:#include "solarLogger.h"
main.cpp:#include "version.h"
Makefile: [snip]
solarLogger.cpp:#include <QtCore>
solarLogger.cpp:#include <QtNetwork>
solarLogger.cpp:#include "solarLogger.h"
solarLogger.h:#include <QObject>
solarLogger.h:#include <QTcpSocket>
solarLogger.h:#include <QTcpServer>
solarLogger.h:#include <QDebug>
solarLogger.h:#include <QTime>
solarLogger.h:#include <QTimer>
solarLogger.h:#include <QProcess>
solarLogger.h:#include <QSqlQuery>
solarLogger.h:#include <QSqlError>

So I’ll try the ubuntu route. Thanks.
James
Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On 01/03/2024 22:38, James Linder wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2024, at 20:58, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 5:59?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to use a Pi5 as a backend.
>>> One of the backend’s tasks is to do some logging, using a Qt5 program I wrote. Compile fails with
>>> usr/include/c++/12/bits/stl_relops.:62: Parse error at “std"
>>>
>>> Googling suggest bookworm-thats-wot-dunnit
>>
>> Sounds like QT Bug 73263:
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-73263
>> which is actually a moc bug.
>>
>> A common fix is to move the
>> #include <filesystem>
>> to below the
>> #include <QApplication>
>> or some other <Qsomething>
>> include such as <QObject>
>
> I’m not going to be so lucky :-(
>
> jam@sandypit:~/solarLogger.db $ grep include *
> grep: build: Is a directory
> main.cpp:#include <QCoreApplication>
> main.cpp:#include <QSettings>
> main.cpp:#include <QSqlDatabase>
> main.cpp:#include <QSqlQuery>
> main.cpp:#include <QSqlError>
> main.cpp:#include <QFile>
> main.cpp:#include <signal.h>
> main.cpp:#include "solarLogger.h"
> main.cpp:#include "version.h"
> Makefile: [snip]
> solarLogger.cpp:#include <QtCore>
> solarLogger.cpp:#include <QtNetwork>
> solarLogger.cpp:#include "solarLogger.h"
> solarLogger.h:#include <QObject>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QTcpSocket>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QTcpServer>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QDebug>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QTime>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QTimer>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QProcess>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QSqlQuery>
> solarLogger.h:#include <QSqlError>
>
> So I’ll try the ubuntu route. Thanks.

And does one of those includes above also have nested includes?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 5:59?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

>> I want to use a Pi5 as a backend.
>> One of the backend’s tasks is to do some logging, using a Qt5 program I wrote. Compile fails with
>> usr/include/c++/12/bits/stl_relops.:62: Parse error at “std"
>>
>> Googling suggest bookworm-thats-wot-dunnit
>
> Sounds like QT Bug 73263:
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-73263
> which is actually a moc bug.
>
> A common fix is to move the
> #include <filesystem>
> to below the
> #include <QApplication>
> or some other <Qsomething>
> include such as <QObject>
>
>> The wiki on building from src urges not using ubuntu, as far as I can tell that relates to frontend stuff.
>
> I suspect that at the time that that
> recommendation was written the
> graphics support for the Pi in
> Ubuntu was not optimal (so FE
> stuff). Reportedly the performance
> got better (and then worse, and
> then better again) at various times
> in the Ubuntu release cycles.

If anyone can guide me I’d appreciate it lots

Despite suggestions from Gary I made no progress
So I flashed the ubuntu image
*everything worked
but building, with a fan heatsink, had CPU temperature over 80C and throttling. Monitoring build on raspberryan I did not see over 63C. On idle the case runs HOT
So I tried to build on RockPi 5.
ansible hangs forever
I thought to install prebuilt. I’ve never used PPA but followed the wiki (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu)

jam@dvrHD:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/34.0
[sudo] password for root:
ERROR: ppa 'mythbuntu/34.0' not found (use --login if private)

jam@dvrHD:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 23.8.3 jammy"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION_ID="22.04"
VERSION="22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)"
VERSION_CODENAME=jammy
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.armbian.com"
SUPPORT_URL="https://forum.armbian.com"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://www.armbian.com/bugs"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.armbian.com"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=jammy
ARMBIAN_PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 23.8.3 jammy”

[.For the eagle eyed I do not like sudo as the user]

Before I nuke Armbian …
James

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
> jam@dvrHD:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/34.0 [sudo] password for root:
> ERROR: ppa 'mythbuntu/34.0' not found (use --login if private)

The correct name should be mythbuntu/34 (without the .0)

Martin
no.disclaimer

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, March 3, 2024 3:21:22 PM AWST Martin Bene wrote:
> > jam@dvrHD:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/34.0 [sudo] password
> > for root: ERROR: ppa 'mythbuntu/34.0' not found (use --login if private)
>
> The correct name should be mythbuntu/34 (without the .0)

Thank you! There is was hidden in plain sight!
James

Re: Raspberry Pi 5 [ In reply to ]