Mailing List Archive

GetScreenShot in Android (Fire TV Stick) land?
Hi folks,

Coming from a combined FE/BE background, I had a workflow to grab a
screenshot of what's currently on the screen. Which was essentially
just visit http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot and save the image
from my web browser.

Now that I've switched over to a Fire TV stick frontend for watching
recordings, this doesn't appear to be possible anymore. Specifically,
with the (excellent) Leanfront frontend, I don't even see port 6547
being listened on while it's running. And if I use the (not quite as
nice performance-wise) full-blown MythTV Frontend, I do indeed see it
listening on 6547 on my Fire TV device, but requests to
http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot result in a 404.

Is there a way to get a screenshot from what is being displayed on a
Fire TV MythTV frontend?

Thanks
-WD
Re: GetScreenShot in Android (Fire TV Stick) land? [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/23 10:30, Will Dormann wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Coming from a combined FE/BE background, I had a workflow to grab a
> screenshot of what's currently on the screen.  Which was essentially
> just visit http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot and save the
> image from my web browser.
>
> Now that I've switched over to a Fire TV stick frontend for watching
> recordings, this doesn't appear to be possible anymore. Specifically,
> with the (excellent) Leanfront frontend, I don't even see port 6547
> being listened on while it's running.  And if I use the (not quite as
> nice performance-wise) full-blown MythTV Frontend, I do indeed see it
> listening on 6547 on my Fire TV device, but requests to
> http://<hosname>:6547/MythFE/GetScreenShot result in a 404.
>
> Is there a way to get a screenshot from what is being displayed on a
> Fire TV MythTV frontend?
>

> Thanks
> -WD

Make sure developer mode in enabled on the fire stick and adb is
installed on a computer.

see
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/app-submission/taking-screenshots.html#firetv

An easier way is running adb exec-out screencap -p > sc.png . This
requires a recent adb version. The adb that comes with ubuntu may not be
recent enough. Get the latest version from
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools . Place adb
on your path, e.g. in /usr/local/bin.

Peter

Re: GetScreenShot in Android (Fire TV Stick) land? [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/23 3:57 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> An easier way is running adb exec-out screencap -p > sc.png . This
> requires a recent adb version. The adb that comes with ubuntu may not be
> recent enough. Get the latest version from
> https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools . Place adb
> on your path, e.g. in /usr/local/bin.

Thanks! This indeed works just fine.

-WD