Mailing List Archive

webfrontend feedback
This is a difficult task
First I think the effort by Peter, Stuart et al is outstanding, so very gently I offer critique knowing that I cannot do better and that my feedback may not reflect other’s opinions.

I find the webfrontend clunky compared to mythweb.

If I had to give my 12yo grandson directions over the phone then mythweb would be easier than webfrohntend.
Ease of use is not a significant feature, but is worth considering.

I gave as an example

Go to mythweb
Choose “listings”
Choose Date and time
Choose “Record This Showing”
Choose “upcoming”
<click> “Don’t Record”
to get a HD version, if the SD version was selected
to not record channels I don’t want
ie Australia ABC records news on channels 2, 20, 21, 22, 23 in any combination of some or all

So I wondered if tools like https://codepal.ai/language-translator/php-to-cpp might render mythweb in a form that is more easily supportable ?

One nice feature of QT is settings where one could select skill level and theme to suit every user.

Regards
James
Re: webfrontend feedback [ In reply to ]
On 12/3/23 01:33, James Linder wrote:
> This is a difficult task
> First I think the effort by Peter, Stuart et al is outstanding, so very gently I offer critique knowing that I cannot do better and that my feedback may not reflect other’s opinions.
>
> I find the webfrontend clunky compared to mythweb.
>
> If I had to give my 12yo grandson directions over the phone then mythweb would be easier than webfrohntend.
> Ease of use is not a significant feature, but is worth considering.
>
> I gave as an example
>
> Go to mythweb
> Choose “listings”
> Choose Date and time
> Choose “Record This Showing”
> Choose “upcoming”
> <click> “Don’t Record”
> to get a HD version, if the SD version was selected
> to not record channels I don’t want
> ie Australia ABC records news on channels 2, 20, 21, 22, 23 in any combination of some or all
>
> So I wondered if tools like https://codepal.ai/language-translator/php-to-cpp might render mythweb in a form that is more easily supportable ?
>
> One nice feature of QT is settings where one could select skill level and theme to suit every user.
>
> Regards
> James

Are you comparing mythweb with the web app on latest master ? This is
how I see it:

Mythweb:

Go to http://localhost/mythweb/
Choose “listings”
Select Date and time from drop down list
Scroll through the grid to the required channel
Click the required program
Choose “Record Only This Showing” from schedule options on the right
Click "update recording settings"
Choose “upcoming recordings”
Find the recording in the list
<click> “Don’t Record”
   to get a HD version, if the SD version was selected
   to not record channels I don’t want
   ie Australia ABC records news on channels 2, 20, 21, 22, 23 in any
combination of some or all

web app:

Go to http://localhost:6544
Choose “Program Guide”
Click the calendar icon next to date and time
Select Date from calendar and time from time picker
  (Alternatively instead of using the calendar icon just overtype the
date and time with new values and press tab)
Scroll through the grid to the required channel
Click the required program
Choose “Record Only This Showing” from schedule type
Click "save", Click "Close:
Choose “upcoming”
Find the recording in the list
Click paperclip icon
select "Do Not Record This Showing" in Schedule type, click "save",
click "close"
   to get a HD version, if the SD version was selected
   to not record channels I don’t want
   ie Australia ABC records news on channels 2, 20, 21, 22, 23 in any
combination of some or all

There is not a lot of difference. The "save" option could also close the
recording dialog, but I thought it would make sense to leave it open so
the user could review whether more changes were necessary.

On my system since the HD and SD channels have different call signs,
clicking "Don't Record" prevents the recording altogether.

To force HD recordings, what I normally do is give the HD channel a
higher priority than the SD channel.

Let me know if there are  specific steps that should be improved.

Peter

Re: webfrontend feedback [ In reply to ]
> [...]
> Find the recording in the list
> Click paperclip icon
> select "Do Not Record This Showing" in Schedule type, click "save", click "close"
> to get a HD version, if the SD version was selected
> to not record channels I don’t want
> ie Australia ABC records news on channels 2, 20, 21, 22, 23 in any combination of some or all
>
> There is not a lot of difference. The "save" option could also close the recording dialog, but I thought it would make sense to leave it open so the user could review whether more changes were necessary.
>
> On my system since the HD and SD channels have different call signs, clicking "Don't Record" prevents the recording altogether.
>
> To force HD recordings, what I normally do is give the HD channel a higher priority than the SD channel.
>
> Let me know if there are specific steps that should be improved.

Peter clearly I’m an utter dork with the subtilies of the UI. Your hand holding smoothed the experience lots.
Thankyou.
I’ve used myth for years and never considered priorities. That’s my bad.
So the single issue I’d like is to colour the entries by category/genre so I don’t have to read lines of entries that turn out to be uninteresting.

Cheers
James
Re: webfrontend feedback [ In reply to ]
On 12/3/23 18:05, James Linder wrote:
> Peter clearly I’m an utter dork with the subtilies of the UI. Your hand
> holding smoothed the experience lots.
> Thankyou.
> I’ve used myth for years and never considered priorities. That’s my bad.
> So the single issue I’d like is to colour the entries by category/genre
> so I don’t have to read lines of entries that turn out to be
> uninteresting.
>
> Cheers
> James

I have opened a feature  request
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/822 . If you think of anything
else or anybody has any other ideas for the program guide  please add
them there.

Peter