Mailing List Archive

leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store
I have set up leanfront in the Amazon app store, so you do not need to
side-load it when using a fire stick or fire tv.

For a new installation, just press the microphone button on your remote
and say "MythTV". Then install.

Advantages of the app store install are: Easier install, you get updated
versions automatically.

If you already have leanfront installed by downloading from orangedox,
to install from the app store you will have to first uninstall it.

If you uninstall it you will lose your settings and recently viewed
list. To avoid that you can save and restore your settings and recently
viewed list with the acopy.sh script from
https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront/blob/master/extras/acopy.sh
as follows:

install sqlite3

acopy.sh -f <ip-address> --db --settings

The database and settings will download into /var/tmp/acopy

Uninstall, press microphone and say "MythTV" and install

acopy.sh -t <ip-address> --db --settings

The database and settings will restore from /var/tmp/acopy

At this time, leanfront is not yet in the google app store.

Peter
Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 2:29?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have set up leanfront in the Amazon app store, so you do not need to
> side-load it when using a fire stick or fire tv.
>
> For a new installation, just press the microphone button on your remote
> and say "MythTV". Then install.
>
> Advantages of the app store install are: Easier install, you get updated
> versions automatically.
>
> If you already have leanfront installed by downloading from orangedox, to
> install from the app store you will have to first uninstall it.
>
> If you uninstall it you will lose your settings and recently viewed list.
> To avoid that you can save and restore your settings and recently viewed
> list with the acopy.sh script from
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront/blob/master/extras/acopy.sh
> as follows:
>
> install sqlite3
>
> acopy.sh -f <ip-address> --db --settings
>
> The database and settings will download into /var/tmp/acopy
>
> Uninstall, press microphone and say "MythTV" and install
>
> acopy.sh -t <ip-address> --db --settings
>
> The database and settings will restore from /var/tmp/acopy
>
> At this time, leanfront is not yet in the google app store.
>
> Peter

So I tried uninstalling the old Leanfront that was sideloaded. Then I
found it in the App library on my FireTV 4K Max without issue. I tried
installing it using the mic and saying "Install Mythtv Leanfront" That
worked. I just set up the few settings I needed to change and it worked
perfectly. Version 455.

I tried finding the app on my Sony TV which has Google TV. It runs the
slidloaded version but I can't find it in the Library.

Any Ideas?

JIm A
Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]

Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
On 29/11/2023 19:26, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have set up leanfront in the Amazon app store, so you do not need to
> side-load it when using a fire stick or fire tv.

This is a great move, thank you Peter. Really appreciate being able to
keep up to date now so easily.

Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 6:52?AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 29/11/2023 19:26, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > I have set up leanfront in the Amazon app store, so you do not need to
> > side-load it when using a fire stick or fire tv.
>
> This is a great move, thank you Peter. Really appreciate being able to
> keep up to date now so easily.

Peter, this is a really great improvement. Couldn't be simpler.

On my wife's FireTV 4K Max, I just went into the settings -> applications
and uninstalled the sideloaded version of leanfront.

Then I hit the voice button on the remote and said "Install MythTV". It
immediately found it and I just clicked to install it. I put in the IP of
my backend and away I went.

I change the setting for skip/jump, forward/reverse for each playback group
I have. I also turn on Commercial Skip, but that's about it.

The only complaint I get from my wife on Leanfront is when the LAN fails,
which is usually because I rebooted something :-)

JIm A
Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2023-11-30 at 11:00 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

> The only complaint I get from my wife on Leanfront is when the LAN fails,
> which is usually because I rebooted something :-)

Might I suggest MythTV Status[0]?  ;)

I have also started deploying more molly-guard checks to prevent rebooting
devices that are currently being used.

Cheers,
Andrew

[0] https://www.etc.gen.nz/projects/mythtv/mythtv-status.html

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz |

Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
This is awesome!

Re: leanfront is now in the Amazon App Store [ In reply to ]
On 11/30/23 11:00 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 6:52?AM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:
>
> On 29/11/2023 19:26, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > I have set up leanfront in the Amazon app store, so you do not
> need to
> > side-load it when using a fire stick or fire tv.
>
> This is a great move, thank you Peter. Really appreciate being
> able to
> keep up to date now so easily.
>

> Peter, this is a really great improvement.  Couldn't be simpler.
>
> On my wife's FireTV 4K Max, I just went into the settings ->
> applications and uninstalled the sideloaded version of leanfront.
>
> Then I hit the voice button on the remote and said "Install MythTV".
> It immediately found it and I just clicked to install it.  I put in
> the IP of my backend and away I went.

Weirdly, this did not work for me on my FireStick 4K Max. The voice
command resulted in it trying to install the "MyTV" app (yes, that is
typed correctly). So I tried searching and nothing starting with "myth"
appeared in the list. I also checked to make sure my device's firmware
was up to date, and it was.

So, this morning I figured I'd try again before writing this reply. And
it was there. It installed and runs great. I guess my point is: if
people are having trouble finding the app, try rebooting or perhaps
waiting a while longer. It seems the device can take a while to update
its list of available plugins.